lyman mountain 3/29/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 3/29/14

trails: bushwhack

conditions: plenty of room to park at the end of fox road in madison with no prohibitions. from there i enjoyed open woods bushwhacking up between the west and east peaks to avoid steeper slopes/cliffs on more direct lines to either summit. the snow was quite wet though generally supportive and i rarely went in much more than 6-8 inches. it was a nice walk from near the col up to the long and flat west peak with wide open mature hardwoods and pines. some decent southern views from the southern edge of the summit plateau. i then headed over to the east peak with more nice woods to the shallow col continuing up to the east summit highpoint. the usgs map i used shows the west peak as the higher of the two, but the east peak is the currently recognized highpoint and my readings on the ground showed it a bit higher. if hiking for peakbagging purposes i would say visiting both is the best bet. just south of the east highpoint is a great open ledge with wide open views south and west. i contoured back to the west above the cliffs on the east peak with more nice viewpoints before rejoining my snowshoe tracks back to the car.

equipment: snowshoes.

comments: what a great peak. beautiful open woods and great views from the eastern peak. definitely worthy of more exploration in the future.

bryan

[email protected]