cragged mountain 3/29/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 3/29/14

trails: bushwhack

conditions: i found a pull off on cold brook road, with no prohibitions, that allowed me good access to the southwest ridge of the mountain. the climb up onto the ridge was a bit steep, but then i had good moderate grades and open woods heading up towards a minor western spur of cragged. snow was soft and wet and i was generally going in 6-8 inches. as i got nearer to the main ridge i turned more east and slabbed towards the main peak. some mature softwoods then wide open hardwoods over the very long flat summit area. i made a pass down and back across the highest contour noting a number of possible high bumps eventually finding a recognized bump that seemed to be pretty close to the spot elevation on the usgs map. i mostly followed my tracks back out, but wandered around a bit looking for viewpoints and found a few limited views to nearby foss and lyman as well as to the sandwich range and ossipees.

equipment: snowshoes.

comments: nice peak. great open woods snowshoeing. i didn't really have a plan for how to get up this one. i had initially thought from the north, but finding this good access from cold brook road i took advantage of it. a real nice area. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]