Kinsman, North and South

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Framerman

Reaction score
A near perfect day to peak bag these two summits. It didn't start off too good though. It was raining at 6:30. Not what I had heard it was supposed to be. It cleared off quick though.

The trails were a little mushy. I wore snowshoes all day. I post holed a few times in snowshoes!

I didn't see anyone on the trail until I hit the North summit when a couple and their companion caught up to me. Pleasant folks, nice and friendly dog. I let them go through, I was taking a little time with pictures and stuff.

Before I hit South Kinsman, one other person who was in front of me was coming down. I met the couple again at the summit as they were heading out and I didn't stay long myself. Then I started meeting more and more people coming up. Nearly all stopped and had nice pleasant conversations. More companions, who were all as well equally friendly. Then I met a group of early college age kids, probably 8 or 9 of them, all in snowshoes. Boy, did the trail pack nice from that point!

I got to about 1/4 mile from the hut and I could hear lots of people. I didn't think it was odd or anything, just thought there was quite a few hikers for the day. I just figured it was a nice day and everyone wanted to get out. I later learned it was the Fool Scout Ball. Sorry, I didn't know what it was.

I scooted across the lake and headed down. I met quite a few people on the trail heading to the hut for the festivities and a two invited me to join the fun. I had to politely decline, though in hindsight I probably should have. My knees were killing me and my feet were soaked. I just wanted off mountain. I truly appreciate the offers gentlemen, if you read this.

One last oddity. There was a guy heading down wearing shorts, street shoes, dress socks and a shirt. No jacket, no pack, no water. I offered my microspikes at a discount :) They were not part of the festivities. Oh well, I have done my share of headshakers.

The summit of Lafayette looked socked in most of the day. Just the very tip. Early AM was fine.

I'll be heading back up this route again. An absolute gorgeous hike, beautiful views, and a nice hut to stop in.

I have to say, all day long, the people I stopped and talked with...unbelievably nice people. Even in the parking lot, met 4 other hikers getting done and had a great conversation with all of them. It was so nice today!

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

Last edited:
And it was great to meet you as well! Glad you enjoyed the Kinsmans on a stellar day.