Mount Tripyramid (N&M), 3/29/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
March 29, 2014: Tripyramids

Trails: Pine Bend Brook Trail, Scaur Ridge Trail, Mt. Tripyramid Trail

Summits: North Tripyramid. Middle Tripyramid

Hikers: Jessica Davis, Marty Emmick, and me

What an outstanding day to hike The Tripyramids and do it with a couple of hiking partners like Jessica and Marty. Both are a complete pleasure to spend time in the mountains with. We started from the Pine Bend Brook trailhead on The Kancamagus Highway. As it turned out, planning to do this particular hike wasn’t an original thought for the day. We had plenty of company, good company, but the place wasn’t crowded. And, with the exception of two individuals that caused quite a bit of trail damage bare booting, everybody was on snowshoes.

We started up Pine Bend Brook trail a short distance behind Monica and never saw her again until after she had made the u-turn at Middle Tripyramid and started back toward the trailhead – she’s fast. The trail was soft but able to provide adequate support for people on snowshoes. I think there were only a very few times when the snow at the side of the trail gave way underneath our snowshoes. As long as we managed to stay on the treadway there was no problem with postholing. We enjoyed an easy cruise to the Sandwich Wilderness boundary and on to the upper crossing of Pine Bend Brook. To this point a couple solo hikers passed. One of the others, Ken MacGray, leapfrogged us multiple times on the way to Middle Tripyramid. Ken also provided an assist with pictures on North and Middle Tripyramid. Thanks Ken.

The climb was a good one. The snow was soft but provided adequate traction for our snowshoes. Along the way a group of four passed including Gary Tompkins, Guy Jubinville, Jim Towle, and Kwi-Hui Skene. As we were climbing to the ridge there were a couple places where limited slipping occurred but it was generally a slow and steady climb to the ridge and junction with Scaur Ridge Trail. At the trails junction, the top of the signpost was poking through the snow, but that’s all. There’s still lots of snow. I noticed there had been no visible traffic approaching from the Waterville Valley side. After a brief stop we were on our way to North Tripyramid and the steep climb waiting for us. We hiked along the ridge and finally started up the steep pitch to the summit. I think we all stopped to raise the heel lifts on our snowshoes and climbed. With all of the snow, the trail seemed much easier than usual. Many of the usually difficult places were filled with snow and ice, and are now packed snow ramps to the summit. Before we knew it the trails junction sign below the summit was in the near distance and soon after we were on the summit getting the usual pictures.

The stop at North Tripyramid was a short one and we were soon on our way to Middle Tripyramid. With quite a few snowshoes ahead of us the trail was well packed and in pretty good shape. Between North and Middle Tripyramid the only stops were for pictures. As we were on our final climb to Middle Tripyramid we met Gary Tompkins and his group descending and on their exit hike. During the time between North and Middle Tripyramid the clouds moved in and were dropping fast. The top of Tecumseh was obscured but The Osceolas were still visible from the viewpoint. Looking the other way we could not see Passaconaway or Chocorua. We got our usual summit pictures, made the u-turn, and started our exit hike.

The trip back to the trailhead had a little extra fun with the sliding along the way. Leaving Middle Tripyramid started things off. We had a trail that was already groomed for sliding by a pair that went out as we were arriving to Middle Tripyramid. We eventually caught up to them but not until within ~1 mile of the trailhead, after they had made their way down all of the steep pitches. North Tripyramid provided more fun and the final fast butt slides were on the descent from the ridge. Once we reached the upper crossing of Pine Bend Brook we were on the low part of Pine Bend Brook Trail and it was time to just hike.

From the crossing to the trailhead was an easy cruise. We passed the other pair that was slowed a little by sore leg muscles and reached the trailhead roughly forty-five minutes ahead of plan, and ahead of the predicted afternoon rain. We didn’t take long to get packed for the trip south. After saying our goodbyes Marty headed east on The Kanc, Jessica and I headed west.

Thanks Jessica and Marty. I really enjoyed the day and hope you did too. I’m already looking forward to getting together again for some mountain air.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Hey Earl,

It is always great hiking with you, even though everyone on the trail knew you or about you, whereas Jessica and I were known to nobody. :p You are definitely the Governor of the Tripyramid province. :D You are also a very fine butt slider!

As usual, your slide show and captions described the day perfectly. I thought our group photo on North Tripyramid was especially nice.

Sorry we will not be able to hike together this weekend. Hopefully our paths cross really soon. Thanks for letting me join you on another awesome hike.

Best regards,
Marty

Hey Earl,

It is always great hiking with you, even though everyone on the trail knew you or about you, whereas Jessica and I were known to nobody. :p You are definitely the Governor of the Tripyramid province. :D You are also a very fine butt slider!

As usual, your slide show and captions described the day perfectly. I thought our group photo on North Tripyramid was especially nice.

Sorry we will not be able to hike together this weekend. Hopefully our paths cross really soon. Thanks for letting me join you on another awesome hike.

Best regards,
Marty
Hey Marty,

Thanks.

It was definitely an unusual day. Some days I bump into one or two others that I've previously met but, as you pointed out, it seemed like everyone on the trail knew me or knew of me. Did you set that up? :confused:

The day was fun with great company and that's all that matters to me. I'm grateful for you and Jessica and the day we had to share.

I agree, we need to go again soon.

:)