Hancocks, 4/4/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 4, 2014: The Hancocks

Trails: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail

Summits: North Hancock, South Hancock

Hikers: Keith Malone and me

With a very wet forecast for Saturday I decided on Friday for hiking this week. Keith was interested in The Hancocks with an early start; that’s a good combination for me. Coming from opposite directions we met at the Hancock Notch trailhead and were on-trail a few minutes after the target time. Part of our final hike prep included deciding footwear for the hike. The temperature was around 20 degrees and everything was solid; we went with MICROSpikes.

As soon as we crossed The Kanc and stepped onto the Hancock Notch Trail I knew we made the right choice. The trail was solid but not icy. We had perfect MICROSpike conditions. They gave us outstanding traction all day and the trail was hard enough to prevent postholing.

With Keith out front, we hiked along the Hancock Notch Trail at a comfortable pace. For most of this first section we were hiking in shadows. Eventually the terrain provided less shielding from the sun and the sun became higher, finally we were hiking in beautiful sunny conditions. The day was still cold but the sun and lack of wind kept us comfortable. We arrived to the junction with Cedar Brook Trail well ahead of plan, made the turn, and started out Cedar Brook Trail to the junction with Hancock Loop Trail. There are several crossings along the way. All were bridged and solid. We had no obstacles at all except for one “crawl under” blowdown crossing Cedar Brook Trail. We made our way past the blowdown and a couple more crossings eventually reaching the Hancock Loop Trail junction.

After a very short pause we were headed to the loop split. Keith was still in the lead and setting a terrific pace for the hike. The rate of elevation gain increased a little after changing to Hancock Loop Trail but we were still able to move at a pretty good pace, with an occasional stop to let me calm down. Finally we arrived to the loop split. The trail returning from South Hancock showed indications of a lot of traffic but the trail heading to North Hancock had a single set of tracks. We decided to hike the loop clockwise and set off for North Hancock first.

The loop split was where Keith and I swapped places; Keith suggested I take the lead for a while, and I did. We made our way through the short descent to the brook bed, headed straight across, and started the climb. Suddenly, instead of a set of bare boot tracks we were hiking a trail with a single set of snowshoe tracks. I’d guess the heel lifts were being used. We stayed with the MICROSpikes and were able to climb at our pace without trail damage. There were a number of stops on the climb and I actually heard Keith breathing hard at one point. I asked if there was a problem and he simply said “capacity”. I didn’t pursue it; perhaps he was reaching his limit with me (it happens). We kept climbing and eventually passed through the small area of blowdowns on the upper steep climb. From there I knew we were almost to the less steep section of the climb, and soon the summit.

The trail moderated and we were on final approach to North Hancock. Near the summit is a large area of blowdowns through which the trail passes. There are a couple “holes” in the trees that offer nice views and we got a few pictures before continuing to the summit. Eventually we made the final turn and approached the summit signpost. We got the usual summit pictures and wandered to the viewpoint to enjoy the scenery a blue-sky day provides.

Out at the viewpoint we were indeed treated to real eye candy. The views are generally limited to 180 degrees (east-south-west), but they’re a very good 180 degrees. Off to the left the view included Mount Chocorua and South Hancock, straight out we enjoyed views including Passaconaway, Whiteface, Tripyramids, Sandwich Mountain, and The Osceolas; the view to the right included Scar Ridge, Loon Mountain, and Moosilauke. Back at the summit the snow cover got us high enough to see over the treetops to Franconia Ridge and The Kinsmans. We enjoyed the views for a short time and set off to South Hancock.

Still following a single set of tracks we made our way between the summits. We were still enjoying a solid trail. The sun had warmed things up but only softened the top .5 – 1 inch of snow; underneath was still solid. Between the peaks was still loaded with snow. We made our way through the area of summertime mud pits (frozen solid now) and started the climb to South Hancock. Along the way we passed through the small open area where terrific views back to North Hancock, Franconia Ridge, and The Kinsmans can be enjoyed. After another short photo break we were on our way to South Hancock.

We arrived to South Hancock still enjoying clear sky and calm wind conditions. What an outstanding day! Neither of us has been to the viewpoint recently so we wandered down to the opening. I seem to recall previously being able to see Carrigain from there but not now. The growth is closing in on the viewpoint. We u-turned, returned to the summit, and started our exit hike.

Still on MICROSpikes we started down the very steep descent from South Hancock. A few weeks earlier I passed through the area and found a fair amount of ice making the descent very difficult (easy to descend, tough to do it standing). With the snow conditions we were able to just walk down the slope with no ice related problems at all. We both completed the descent upright. That was a nice surprise, and it only took ~20 minutes from the summit to the loop split (not bad for a couple old guys).

From the loop split to the trailhead lot is a mild walk of ~3.6 miles. We enjoyed an easy, relatively quick cruise to the Hancock Notch trailhead. Roughly midway between the junction of Cedar Brook Trail and Hancock Notch Trail and trailhead there is a large blowdown hanging over the trail. I attempted to move it out of the way with my head but that didn’t work out very well. The tree is still there, undamaged. There’s a chance Keith is still smiling about that one.

We hit the trailhead ahead of plan, packed for our trips home, and set off on The Kancamagus Highway in opposite directions.

Thanks to Keith for meeting me to do this hike. We enjoyed a terrific hike on a terrific day and I was treated to terrific company along the way.

I’m looking forward to doing something like this again, hopefully soon.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Last edited:
Very nice. Looks almost exactly like my hike up the Hancocks a couple weeks ago. Weird how the summit sign was below my knees due to the high snow depth. Or I'm just not used to White Mtn winter hiking;)