black cap mountain, hurricane mountain 4/6/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 4/6/14

trails: hurricane mountain road, black cap trail, black cap connector, bushwhack

conditions: i parked on the shoulder a bit back down hill from the gate on hurricane mountain road. "no parking" signs are prevalent at the gate. the road was snowmobile packed becoming soft in sunny spots. black cap trail was snowmobile packed except for the last climb to the summit which is for foot traffic only. the connector was snowmobile travelled and is the route they use to reach the summit area. back at the start of the black cap trail i crossed the road and headed directly up hurricane mountain. the snow was somewhat supportive in shaded areas, but for most of the climb in the open south facing woods it was heavy and wet and i was going in a foot or more. i topped off at a false bump and continued north over a couple other bumps before reaching the summit area. some conifers around the summit, but still quite open going. descended the way i came.

equipment: snowshoes.

comments: very nice hike. great views from black cap of washington emerging from the clouds. awesome summit. really nice woods up on hurricane that are clearly a popular spot for bears to climb for beech nuts. loads of sign on the trees. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]