boots with support

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
I have a right ankle issue that requires boots with support. In the past, Asolo Backpackers have been good. I am thinking of getting a new pair, but want to know if anybody knows a brand that has the same quality of support but go higher up over the ankle, like plastic winter boots.

There is controversy over whether sturdy boots help or hurt ankles. I currently have ankle pain and am going to PT twice a week. My question is, how could I not have stronger ankles after 12+ years of weekend hiking? Do you put new footbeds in your boots on an annual basis? I use Superfeet Green and believe they help. For non-hiking footwear, I've found the cork Berkenstauks really benefit. Still, I have ankle and foot pain - but I believe it is the result of Lyme disease for me. Not sure about your situation, of course.

I've just bought new boots for this year, Keen's Marshall Mid. The first thing I will put in them (before my feet) are Greens. The boots don't seem to have a lot of support, but are definitely comfortable. Retail on them is about $140, so they better work out well!

I'll be interested in reading the input of others.

Last edited:
Erug,

I think it depends on the type of injury (which we know nothing about).

I did a bad grade 3 sprain on my ankle several years ago and my PT (a leading Boston sports medicine guy) was pretty adamant about doing surgery to tighten up my super stretched ligaments. After repeated rounds of PT, the ankle was still hyper mobile. I begged and got one more round of PT and worked super hard. I have to do balance excercises to this day.

He wants me to descend with an inboot brace, which I no longer do. All this to say, I could easily see the need for tall boots if the injury warrants it. None of this invaldidates what you're saying regarding insole (huge fan).

Dave - I've also sprained this ankle a few times and cut it badly when I was a kid. At PT, one of the first things they do each session is work to remove scar tissue. I've always been a laughing stock when it comes to balance. Thank goodness for hiking poles.

I have a left ankle issue due to three surgeries that has now come down to arthritis pain. I sometimes need a cortisone injection. I had orthotics made for my boots which has helped and I purchase high ankle boots.

I just purchased Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX Backpacking boots online from EMS for this summer due to Backpacker Magazine recommendations. I've yet to use them however but they felt real good walking around the house. I plan on taking them for a test run next weekend on a hike in southern NH.

Everyone's got a different foot story, although...... (my story)

Numerous sprains or fractures, (only had the last two checked & one was a chip fracture, the other an avulsion, some of the others were worse & X-rays showed prior fractures)

For years I was a big boot person, crampon compatibles, the Asolo Pinnacles were the lightweight boots for a while. Started using the lower light shoes for easier terrain & I wouldn't try a traverse with trail shoes, but will use light fabric and leather boots.

Now I vary the footwear based on what I did yesterday, the terrain & what I'm doing tomorrow. Have done Monadnock & Waumbek in running sneakers, A bunch in the ADK's in low cut Asolo's. If it's going to be a long day where I may get sloppy late, or it's rocky, a high boot.

The ankles take direct pressure fine, not very flexible, have strengthen them now but always a twist or roll away from pain.

What have I learned with PT. Like others, my balance is awful. Can barely stand on one foot. (Should do some more exercise to get ready for rocky terrain again) Two feet, no problem, one on the ground, one up, problem.

Last edited:
I've suffered from virtually every type of foot injury/ailment: Bunion surgery, neuromas, plantar fasciitis, fractures, Achilles heel and tendonitis. When going to PT last year for my Achilles issue, my PT watched me walk away in bare feet, watching my stride as I went. First thing he says when I get back is "You ever sprain an ankle?"

My reply "Well, my two passions have been hiking and soccer, and I can say with confidence I've rolled an ankle close to 1,000 times in my life."

"I can tell, your ankles flop all over the place when you walk. It's putting strain on your tendons, which is how this flared up."

Now, it's the cause/effect thing. I prefer to hike in light weight sneaker-boots, but he's not recommending it now. Since my ligaments are so stretched out, I need a stiffer boot to keep everything in place. FWIW, I wear those same Asolos and love them.

Lowa makes several higher styles. I have a special version (no longer sold) of their Hunter Extreme that is ten inches high, relatively light in weight and very comfortable (as are all Lowa products). You might look at the current version and at the different versions of their Tibet: Lowa men's backpacking boots

EDIT: I should point out that the Hunter Extreme is insulated, which will not be a good choice for year-round use. The Tibet GTX Hi will be a better choice for that.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the last time I was boot-shopping, I found that Lowa's men's boots (I tend to do better with men's boots due to the shape of my foot) generally had higher ankles than other brands. Whether that will translate into the kind of support you're looking for, I don't know, but it's worth considering.

Lowa's are great. I have Zamberlan's and they are good too - not just for my ankles, but knees and back as well. I vote for steal shank and full grain leather heavy backpacking or entry mounaineering boots. Plastics are good, but heavy; I have Scarpa Inverno's and use them only for backcountry ski-ing and backpacking. Full-on plastics are out of style in favour of leather combos (Lasportiva, et c.), but are winter only boots as are the Inverno's.

Lasportiva Makalues are very stiff and they will hurt breaking in, but that will hold your ankles on any terrain. In my experience stiff boots absolutey help with weak ankles.