Camel's Hump via Monroe Trail 4/6/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Date of Hike:

Trail Conditions: Trail was in great shape and easy to follow. Well blazed when I looked for/at them. No real blow downs or issues, although some branches encroaching on the trail in places. Brook crossings were on foot bridges or solid snow bridges

Special Equipment Required: I used snowshoes the entire time thinking today's predicted sun and warm temps would make things soft. The seemingly hard layer just under the surface made it so this didn't really happen much though. Other hikers were bare booting, using spikes, or using snowshoes (all without much issue by the looks). Many hikers (12-15 at least) coming up the trail in groups as I headed down. When I passed them not many were wearing snowshoes, but some had them. They may have chewed up the trail some by the end of the day, but I didn't have any issues coming down after passing them.

Comments: Great day for a hike today, especially one with views this nice. Almost no clouds at all while I was at the summit. 20 degrees on top with wind at 16 mph avg (gusts to 25 mph) making it feel cool. The snow at the hut clearing is as deep as the "Long Trail South" sign is tall. Glad someone cleared out snow in front of it since the Burrows Trail right next to it didn't seem to have a sign (or it's under the snow).

Your name: sdways01 (Adam)

Your E-mail address: sdways01atyahoodotcom