Lodging info please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
We are thinking of hiking from Elk Lake and Upper Works sometime this spring/summer/fall. We like to stay in motels or cabins with kitchen in room, within a reasonable distance from the trailheads. Could we get some recommendations from you ADKrs?? Thanks!!

It's not a "cabin with a kitchen in the room" and it's not cheap, but you could stay at Elk Lake Lodge. We came out there once on an emergency bailout when we got hammered by an early season ice storm and couldn't get back over Dix. Cold, wet, and tired from navigating some horrible blowdown that obliterated the trail (4 hours to go less than 1/2 mile), they let us in so we could get warm and dry by their fire, and wait for a ride back to our car. Always said I'd be back to stay there, and use it as a dayhiking base. Someday...

Check TCD's ADK link. Elk Lake has the best location but is pricy. A cabin on the lake an ideal setting.

What's a reasonable distance. Very limited choices in the Minerva & Newcomb area's. A couple of nice B&B's maybe a very rustic cabin, think Last Chance in Twin Mountain. North Creek and Schroon Lake area's would be biggest areas north of lake George area. If looking for summer or Foliage season, you'll want a reservation for the bigger places.

Consider using ADK by Owner or Cyber-rental for North Creek, looking for ski condo's off season for Gore. That particular area has few choices, it's sparesly populated, adding to the charm of the area for wilderness seeking tourists like ourselves.

http://www.cloudsplitteroutfitters.com/Olbert/Welcome.html

they have a few cabins and rooms to rent.. and they are right in Newcomb which has a small grocery store and a bar. You'll find more dining out facilities in Shroon Lake or Long Lake but if you want to be close to Upper Works, newcomb is closer than Shroon Lake. For Elk Lake, I'd definitely look at Shroon Lake for lodging and food..

Jay

Many lodging and dining options in Long Lake (http://mylonglake.com/long-lake/ll-lodging/), about a half-hour drive from Upper Works. I think it's an easier drive than coming from Schroon Lake. I also think the motels and cabins are much nicer. I've stayed at the Shamrock, Green Harbor, Donnelly's, and Motel Long Lake and was happy with all of them.

Look in the North River, NY area. That is the exit off I-87 that takes you to the road to Elk Lake. There are some motels and B&B in North River. It is a short drive from North River to the trailhead area.

I haven’t stayed there since 2009, I’m sorry to say, but the Maple Leaf Motel in Schroon Lake had kitchenettes in at least some of the rooms. Microwave and a big sink, anyway. Maybe a toaster, don’t remember for sure.

There was a cabin, too, down a wood walkway next to a paddock, that had an oven and/or stove. I recall my ladyfriend making supper when she stayed behind (because she was sick) while I climbed Allen, and a couple of days later, Couchsachraga. But that was even longer ago, in 2001, so things could easily have changed one way or the other since then.

I haven’t stayed there since 2009, I’m sorry to say, but the Maple Leaf Motel in Schroon Lake had kitchenettes in at least some of the rooms. Microwave and a big sink, anyway. Maybe a toaster, don’t remember for sure.

Maple Leaf is our go-to place in Schroon (to get peaks for Elk Lake, and sometimes even out of Keene Valley since it is only a ~40 minute drive). They do have kitchenettes in most of the rooms and are traditionally reasonably priced, I highly recommend.