Self Rescue after fall in Great Gully

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
I'm not posting this for comments on what this guy may or may not have done wrong, if you want those read the comment section of the Union Leader. I'm posting to raise awareness of the inherent danger, and the importance of self rescue. My comment would be, the guy knew what he was getting into, knew he had to get himself out, and the mountain gods were with him… because of this, he'll still have a lifetime to reflect on what happened and why...

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140409/NEWS07/140409153&template=mobileart

KDT

The only comment I saw in the UL was one of a positive nature that this guy got out. I think the UL has changed their comment process.

I'm glad to see they are considering his previous experience doing such things. But then again, it's hard to say if this would be "different" if large expenses were incurred.

Just wondering about a term in the UL story. It says an "ice slab fell" - is that like an avalanche or is it different?

He seemed to have been prepared and able to save himself. Perhaps with the name Luk you can survive these type of situations. :rolleyes:

The following was posted in TFT (Time for Tuckerman) by the guy who fell while skiing. In case anyone is in King Ravine after the snow melts - be on the lookout for his stuff!!!

Quoted from TFT:

------
Looking for the rest of my gear (King Ravine)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took a little spill in King Ravine last week, and as of now I am still missing one ski, a pair of poles, and my ice axe. From what my friends have told me (they were up there looking Friday and Saturday), there was a slide sometime after I fell and my stuff is probably under some snow right now. I'm not in any condition to get up there again soon (probably won't be until May), so if any of you are up there and find something, please take it with you and let me know.

Thanks,

RTTT

Last edited:
Am thinking that after the snow melts completely, the smaller stuff will disappear into the rocks. Hope it gets found.