Hyland Hill 4/6/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
This was my first hike up this NH fire tower peak. (My previous visit in 1976 I drove a Honda sedan with 10" tires to the tower.) The trail was packed snow with some sections of spongey gravel lower down, no need for spikes and snowshoes only useful off-trail. There were some previous foot tracks and some tracks of a large ATV/small jeep but I met nobody. There were posted signs from several owners at various points on both sides of the road, but the only signs for the road itself were from Cub Scouts requesting no littering.

Most people probably consider the fire tower to be at the summit, but the highest contour is huge and there are several rock outcrops in various directions at least one of which has a cairn. Unfortunately the area is thickly wooded and it will take a forest fire or glacier to provide views from ground level. Snow fence that might have once blocked the tower stairs was no longer in position, and views in most directions including Monadnock could be obtained from a platform below cab level.

The powerlines don't follow the road but come straight up the NE face, I probably should have gone down that way but didn't.