Need advice on my trail shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Framerman

Reaction score
Last year I bought a pair of Oboz Sawtooth and really, really like them. The hard sole is great for my feet. My son and I went to Katahdin over the Knife Edge and it was a pleasure.

However, the one thing that I find with these particular shoes is that coming down some steep rock face, or if it is damp, they are quite slippery. Obviously don't want that.

So I guess I am asking if anyone has used some other trail shoe like the Merrills and if this is a similar problem. We are going to be heading up Huntington Ravine this summer and I don't think I am going to feel too comfortable using these to go up that route. The only other thing I could think of is bring some rock climbing shoes. The added weight is not really what I want though.

I can deal with some of the steepness, but the damp surfaces is bad. We went back to Katahdin and it was drizzling while heading over Knife Edge and it was downright frightening.

You may want to try what's called an "approach shoe." The soles are made of softer rubber and therefore grip better, however the typical trade-off is faster wear and tear. I cannot speak from experience with these as I've not actually used them but this is the word on the street.

There are so many variables that I think you may just have to experiment with different shoes and brands until you get one you like.

It is also probably is dependent on your footwork and your comfort zone, and of course the rock you're on. Some rock is grippy when wet and some is slippery, regardless of the shoe. I've used ratty old New Balance trail runners to go up Trap Dike on Mt. Colden, so I tend to believe that most shoes can get up or down most scrambles in the northeast, but then that's one day in good conditions.

Vibram soles are exceedingly popular and they do in fact make a great product. That being said, the Contagrip soles on Salomons are both sticky (in terms of traction) and pretty durable. The Comet 3D is my personal favorite but a lot people like the Quest 4D. Both shoes offer a high degree of support and more stiffness than most Merrels.

I had a small tear on the uppers of my Comet 3Ds and was delighted to learn the two-year warrantee covered this relatively cosmetic failure. The best part is that they sent me a new pair and let me keep my old ones (which I still hike in).

I will not buy any athletic shoe or boot from another company.

Z :D

If you have rock climbing shoes, it's pretty easy to pack them and they weigh very little. I've been up the trap dike, and down the Huntington trail, in trail runners, but boy, the climbing shoes make it a lot easier!

Vibram soles are exceedingly popular and they do in fact make a great product. That being said, the Contagrip soles on Salomons are both sticky (in terms of traction) and pretty durable. The Comet 3D is my personal favorite but a lot people like the Quest 4D. Both shoes offer a high degree of support and more stiffness than most Merrels.

I had a small tear on the uppers of my Comet 3Ds and was delighted to learn the two-year warrantee covered this relatively cosmetic failure. The best part is that they sent me a new pair and let me keep my old ones (which I still hike in).

I will not buy any athletic shoe or boot from another company.

Z :D

Those Salomon's look fantastic. I like!

I had grip problems with a lot shoes, I finally invested in a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. They have a fairly stiff sole with nylon shank so I never feel sharp rocks like I did with some trail runners, and the grip is excellent. From the Whites to worn smooth rocks on Monadnock, their traction has never failed me. They have a rather large toe box(which I need) and the fit may not be ideal for everyone, but I now have 2 other pairs that I picked on discount. Another plus is that they haven't modified the shoe every year like some others! Hope you shoes that work well for you!

I've owned a pair of Merrills before that felt like house slippers but the soles were beyond slippery on just about any rock or wood surface (log bridges, steps, etc). Literally while in my first 100 yds of owning the shoes I skidded out on a log bridge and almost fell on my ass. Ledge was particularly problematic unless the ledge and the shoes were bone dry. They didn't hold up very well either. I pretty much destroyed them in part of one summer of NH 4k hiking (I think I put about 100 miles on them before retiring. I have nearly 350 miles on my Asolo's and while worn they are nothing like the Merrill). I don't recall which model they were but they were not the Moab's. I recall trying those on but not getting.

It's too bad really. They were extremely comfortable but slippery soles and durability issue has talked me out of trying another Merrill shoe.

Im old school, Merril Wilderness, the Vibram soles on those climb like rock climbing shoes. Plus, I had Mr. Limmer re-sole them last year, Holy Moly, the soles he put on are the finest Ive ever used, that guy is the best if you need new treads. He is in Jackson near the bridge, nice guy too.

I don't recall which model they were but they were not the Moab's. I recall trying those on but not getting.
You really might want to try the Moab's, they are highly reviewed on almost every sellers site, and traction is one of the high points. I have not owned any other Merrell styles, so I won't say that all models are good, but both of my brothers also own these and rave about them.

I thank everyone for the information. The Moab's look great too. Looks like most here that have been mentioned are at EMS, so when I get in there next, I will definitely try more of them out. The Oboz have been really good to me, but this last pair...I don't know if it is something different, but I've had bruised big toes coming down the mountain and the fit seems off. I knew they weren't real sticky on the rocks, but the have a great stiff sole for the sharp rocks.

I just though tof a shoe you might like. Its made by a company called 5.10 and its an approach shoe, designed for approaching and climbing alpine routes. It has been out for years, but youll never find it at EMS. I know guides that have used it and they love it. Last time I was in IME in North Conway they had it. This shoe might be just what your looking for. I think it sells for about 125 or so.