Log cabin on Mt. Cabot trail for sale!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that all the lots adjacent to the Mt Cabot Trail have deeded access, including a guy I talked to who had to fight a certain downhill landowner in court to enforce it

As the owner of this property, you could allow anyone you like to utilize your access to your lot

However I believe that the cabin does not directly abut NF as stated in the ad, ND should verify this before he buys it

I'd confirm that location, too. If it is where google says, then it is nowhere near the trail ... but google can be wrong ... in fact, I hate to rely on their maps/directions. I'd find a reputable local broker/realtor and work the deal through them. In my opinion, it could be worth the fee. Otherwise, check with peakbagger.

Landlocked cabins such as these are frequently sold in the region, many folks like to dream about them but the reality is that actually owning them and using them often enough to justify the purchase is tough. Like most of the whites, the area is maturing woods and is hunted heavily without a lot of game so its not much use for a hunting cabin. For a recreational cabin for hiking the whites, its just a bit too far out of the way for the whites. It is also not a drive up spot and may never be given the landowner issues along the right of way. Thus on a Friday night, someone has to drive up, park on the road and then walk up to the cabin with a load of weekend gear and on Sunday lug it out. These cabins are somewhat remote so vandalism/theft is possible thus leaving gear there is a potentially risky proposition. The cabin is log and most likely not on a foundation so expect the local deer mice and other critters to take up residence. Oh by the way in the winter, most north country towns ban on street overnight parking so visiting in the winter is not easy unless you make a deal with a neighbor.

Craiglist is not a recommended way to buy real estate, you may be able to make a deal with Peter Powell in Lancaster to provide services to ensure the transaction goes smoothly. Property titles and surveys can be quite dicey in some areas. Frequently the deeds are quit claims and may have "clouds" on the title that may not be apparent. Surveys sometimes are steel pipes driven in the ground by a prior owner and may not accurately reflect the original subdivision if there was one.

It is also not a drive up spot and may never be given the landowner issues along the right of way. Thus on a Friday night, someone has to drive up, park on the road and then walk up to the cabin with a load of weekend gear and on Sunday lug it out.

The description says it's on a gated road that may require 4wd, it may not be plowed in winter but the parking at Cabot trailhead is

Wonder if it's this place? http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.48021...4.48021,-71.44599,3.8 km SW of Mount Cabot NH

If anybody calls the guy, get the deed # or tax map # and I'll look it up

Michelle, if you get permission to look at the outside that gives us permission to use the road and we can climb Mt Cabot while we're there :)

Since there is already an apparently clear right of way for accessing USFS land to Mt Cabot from this side of the mountain via he former Mt Cabot trail, there is no need to buy the cabin to allow public access to the former trail route. There are plenty of prior threads on the history on this but it all comes down to the FS picks their battles and they have elected not to fight this one as the potential collateral effects on traill access are higher than the benefit to the hiking public. It has not been established if the cabin is above the disputed section of land, and therefore even if a new owner extended access to the public, would it do anything to restore this trail? The FS has a different view of time than the hiking public has, institutionally they can afford to wait out the owner until he is no longer in the picture.

It has not been established if the cabin is above the disputed section of land, and therefore even if a new owner extended access to the public, would it do anything to restore this trail? The FS has a different view of time than the hiking public has, institutionally they can afford to wait out the owner until he is no longer in the picture.
Since the disputed section starts at the gate, the cabin is above it if it's along the trail as stated. Since most of the parcels along the trail are much larger, the one I highlighted in an earlier post is likely the one.

While the FS and AMC have no interest in opening up this trail, that doesn't preclude another person or group from doing so. In addition to the purchase price, figure on more $$ for legal fees if you advertise public access - the (apparent) present cabin owner had to enforce his r-o-w in court.

I expect the current locked gate and the ability to maintain the road would be a point of contention.

One minor point is the signage at the junction of upper section of the Mt Cabot Trail and Kilkenny ridge trail stated that the remainder of the Mt Cabot trail is not maintained versus closed. I am curious if that is not so subtle hint that it may be maintained as some point in the future?

It gets used often. Particularly by locals in winter. I drove by this year after doing Waumbek and although posted (has not been posted in some prior winters) it was clearly being used.

Tim

One thing to consider: ROW's are often quite specific, and not transferrable. Just because YOU have a right of way does not necessarily give you the right to allow others to use it. And they are sometimes specific as to what use you have the right of way for.
As one example, many farmers have a right of way across the railroad tracks along the CT River so they can get to their fields. This does not give them the right to allow others to cross the tracks. In that case, the right of way is specifically for agricultural use of the farmer, and the farmer cannot allow others to cross the right of way unless they are engaged in farming activity. They also cannot build a home across the right of way and cross the tracks to access it.

I'd make sure what the terms of the right of way are first.