osgood hill (black top) 4/10/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 4/10/14

trails: bailey brook mill trail, kulish ledge trail, bushwhack, road walk

conditions: i ended up parking at the lower bailey brook trailhead off old stoddard road in nelson. room for a couple cars. the bigger lot at the other end is a bit further up the road and didn't look super appealing to get a lower clearance car into at this point. unlike an earlier hike that was mostly melted out the northern slopes on osgood were still holding a fair amount of snow. i followed the bailey brook trail along the brook and past interprative points until getting close to its end at the upper lot. the new kulish ledges trail leaves south and is marked only by a couple pieces of flagging tape. it took me two passes to see it. from there to the ledges it is marked only by tape and would be pretty much imperceptible without it given the snow cover and generally open woods. snow was wet and heavy and rarely supportive. probably around a foot to two left on the ground at most. a few bare spots as the trail winds around above the southeast facing cliffs. once at the ledges the trail continues with harris center markers and i followed it up to the height of land on an eastern sub bump then bushwhacked up to the high point where there is a sign reading "black top". on the way i noted white blazes i though might be boundary markers, but on the way back realized they were marking a trail coming up from the south. i will have to look that one up. water crossings all had nice new foot bridges.

equipment: i wore snowshoes almost the entire hike.

comments: nice afternoon hike. the walk along bailey brook and past the old mill site was really beautiful. some good, but limited views at both the cliff top and from the ledges. was interesting to find that there is a trail up to the summit. i had always planned to bushwhack all the way up from the north until recently finding out about the new kulish ledge trail which i knew would get me most of the way, but not to the top. looks like there is another option from the south that goes all the way to the top as well. great day.

bryan

[email protected]