Mount Washington via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and Crawford Path (12 April 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail conditions: the trails are still in good shape and consolidated from trailhead to summit. I started above Marshfield Station on the 0.3 mile side access trail. The trail was firm snow with a soft layer on top from the start with periodic postholes in the trail. Post-holing, surprisingly, was not a problem today. Above the hut, there are exposed rocks but it's still easy to stay on all snow and ice. No blowdowns; trail in good shape.

Special Equipment Required: I barebooted most of the way to Gem Pool before putting crampons on for the steep mile to treeline. Crampons stayed on until the steeps on the descent when I switched to snowshoes to brake with while glissading. I kept snowshoes on most of the way out. Full winter gear above treeline. It was very windy with a cold wind chill but mostly only on the summit and when directly in the strong wind.

Comments: a gorgeous April day. Temps near 30 on the summit, blue skies and all the views. It was quite windy and felt cold up there but the sun was nice on my face and I wore just a base layer from the start until 5000 feet. Above the falls and ravine, when the trail turns away from Washington and toward the hut, I cut over the top of the ravine running a direct route to Washington. I picked up the Crawford path after 30 min or so. Snow was firm and windswept up here but thin in places. It was still possible to avoid plants and post holing but maybe not for much longer.