Mt. Cabot 4.11.14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWStandley

Reaction score
Had quite a frustrating hike up Mt. Cabot on Saturday, mainly due to the melting snow, oh and also, a broken foot on the way down.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous, a warm 65 degrees at the base. Trail was very soft and deep, tried snowshoes but that didn't help much. Used micro spikes for the majority of the hike. Saw numerous moose tracks and even a giant Fisher Cat! There was a number of spruce traps along the trail, some looking like they were close to 5 or 6 feet deep.

Luckily it stayed light out until just before 8:00PM, as we had a late start and the "accident'' on the return added quite a bit of time.

I have a full description on my blog at: www.tomhikesthewhites.blogspot.com

Hey Tom,

I was the bearded solo hiker on my way down about 2/5 from the trailhead you guys chatted with when you asked how much further/ if it was still soft up high. Sorry to hear about your broken foot! Glad you and your buddies were able to get out by yourselves. Thanks for sharing the story here. Checked out your blog post and you had some good reflections/ lessons learned. You are right that it would have been a tough situation if you were by yourself. There were some cold rain showers late that night through the morning up there.

I solo frequently, including tougher 4ks in winter. When doing so I always check the weather for the night after my "day hike" and pack according to the worst case scenario (or not hike). In winter conditions that usually means bring a sleeping bag and a waterproof bivy. That puts my pack with water and food around 22 lbs before camera gear, which some on this board ridiculed as ridiculous in a thread that got mysteriously deleted last year, but personally I'd rather have that stuff if I found myself in your predicament alone. I've seen some "light" packs this winter...

Oh and the Cabot/ Kilkenny Range does offer some good wildlife encounter chances, I actually saw a bull moose on trail that morning 50 yards ahead of me on trail! He was making some those postholes. The destroyed grouse was also interesting.

Hope you heal well!

Last edited:
Hi John - thanks for the response! It was nice meeting you on the trails. I just checked out your photo website - beautiful pictures!

I am jealous that you encountered a bull-moose - that is what we were looking for! The Fisher Cat was a good consolation prize I suppose.

Definite good advice - I agree with you, better to be prepared for the worst.

Hopefully our paths will cross again - once I get this darned cast off!

Cheers,
Tom

Good lord, man. It's your trip report and others that warn of the soft wet snow that has kept me WAY south over the last couple weeks. I love a good, firm, packed trail. This stuff is just nasty.

I finished my 48 on Cabot in a torrential downpour. The feelings you expressed toward Cabot are similarly shared:
finger.jpg