North Dome & Sherrill from Spruceton or via Rt. 42 - Which do you prefer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to drop a second vehicle for a through hike from Rt. 42 or Spruceton and wonder which direction is the more enjoyable direction to hike both. I'm aware of the steepness on the east side of Norh Dome and wonder if they might be harder going down if I start from Rt. 42. Which direction is preferred?

If you encounter ledges coming off of North Dome, just keep sliding left.

When dropping off of Sherrill towards Rt. 42, cheat a little right and you will eventually find an old road that leads back to the parking lot (almost).

Is the Devils Path approach first south, then west at the swamp the better end to start from? Would you rather hike up the eastern face or down it if approaching it from the DEC parking area off of Rt. 42? Just curious to know if there are advantages to climbing Sherrill or North Dome first. Long dayhike in June.

S-N. I like cliffs though! :D If you'd rather climb them, reverse and do N-S.

If you do start up the DP, and you want to avoid the cliffs, leave the trail early. This will help you avoid the worst of the cliffs.

Thanks Tom. I like cliffs too though the person I'm hiking these with may not. I think I'll just stick with the DP route as my starting point.