Open call for hikes in WMNF this coming week.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Open Call for Hikes This Coming Week:

Updated Wednesday 6 PM:

I am hiking this coming week Thursday and Friday in the WMNF. The weekend weather looks like rain at this point, so this is the adjusted plan:

Thursday: Waumbek and Starr King. 10 AM start. See post below for details.

Friday: Franconia ridge with the aim of Flume through Lafayette, maybe a pair only. See post below for details. I may hike this one CCW (a change to the original post). Otherwise, no changes.

Last edited:
Scott,

I know this is not on your list, but I was hoping to do Monroe and Washington this month. I don't have them in April. I was looking at the forecast and Friday looks good in terms of wind, but that could change. Franconia Ridge would be a second option for me.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Scott,

I know this is not on your list, but I was hoping to do Monroe and Washington this month. I don't have them in April. I was looking at the forecast and Friday looks good in terms of wind, but that could change. Franconia Ridge would be a second option for me.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Hey Brian - Friday looks like a good day at this point. I just hiked Washington last week though, and although I'm not opposed to hiking the mountain almost anytime, at this point, I'm planning a Monroe/Washington hike in May if it works out. I'm pretty flexible about what I do Friday though if you like something else on the list I'm considering this week. I'm open to Franconia Ridge in just about any format (2 or 4 is fine and I don't care which two (Liberty/Flume or Lincoln/Lafayette)).

Let me know what you think.

Plan for Friday April 25

Here is the plan for Friday April 25: Franconia Ridge

Meet: Basin parking lot, ready to hike at 8 AM. This one may go CCW or CW. The route is described as CCW.

Plan(s): Bike Path to Liberty Springs Trail (likely using the bushwhack shortcut) then to Franconia Ridge Trail. Over Liberty and out to Flume and back to the LST junction. The option to return via Liberty Springs or continue on can be discussed based on time and state of affairs at that point. A second possible bailout is down the Falling Waters Trail if needed. The full out option is to continue along the FRT over Little Haystack, Lincoln and Lafayette and descend via the Greenleaf Trail and Old Bridle Path/Falling Waters Trail to the bike path, about a mile and a half north of the Basin. The 1.8 mile section of FRT between LST and FWT may be regrettable, but not really. :)

Option 1: Liberty and Flume (about 11 miles)
Option 2: Liberty and Flume bailout FWT (13-14 miles)
Option 3: All 4 peaks plus Little Haystack (16-17 miles)

Let me know if you are interested in joining in the fun.

Last edited:
Plan for Thursday April 24 (Mounts Starr King and Waumbek)

Starr King Trail over Starr King and on to Waumbek (Jefferson, NH).

Start time: 10:00 AM at the Trail Head sign. I'm not sure what shape the road is in so I may park at the lot on Rt 2.

This is normally a relatively easy 4,000 footer, about 7.5 miles round trip at a moderate grade to Starr King and an easy mile over to Waumbek. That said, conditions on the trail itself may be tough depending on the shape of the monorail.

At this point I won't be able to check the thread again before morning so join if you want. Snowshoes/light traction could both be necessary.

Last edited: