Snow Free Trails 2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
I've been searching trip reports for snow free hikes to lead a few kids and found nothing, not a surprise with all the snow I saw in MWV a couple week ago, plus last week's snow and ice.

But today we went ahead and hiked our first 100% snow free trail of the season. Three kids and four parents ventured out and up!

The Marion Davis Trail up Pack Monadnock was snow free. Hurray!

The Summit Loop Trail and Wapack Trail for the summit south did have enough ice that a dad carrying a toddler wasn't comfortable with it.

Any other snow free routes out there? Even little ones like this?

Took the family up Burnt Meadow Mountain in Maine today. Completely clear of snow and even mud. Nice little hike. About 3 miles up and back. 4½ around the loop.

Trails on south and east side of Grand Monadnock are in pretty good shape. White Dot has a little snow/soft ice in the sheltered areas, maybe 50 foot stretches, but plenty of exposed rock so you don't need traction. We hiked Cascade Link and upper Pumpelly yesterday and there was some snow/soft ice in spots but no traction required. I'd say 80-90% snow free. My friend said Red Spot was about same. Some mud, but minor issue on White Dot. Was a lot of snow still on west side last weekend and suspect it is still an issue on west and north side.

Acadia is looking pretty good. Only a few short sections on Pemetic. Maybe .1 miles of a 6-7 mile hike had snow over Pemetic, Penobscot, and Sargent. Otherwise clear and not really any mud either.

Reports on the Snow Line, 2014

Reports of the elevation level for the snow line on New England trails are welcome here, together with anything else you care to add from your hike.

Key data points: Trail Name, mountain(s), elevation of snow line plus notes about where ice/snow lingers on trail below it, time and day. Thanks in advance.

Moosilauke on Saturday via Glencliff Trail, hit snow about two miles up (3000' elev.?), and on the ridge the snow/ice was a couple feet deep. Is this what you mean?

I did Belknap Mt. to the firetower today by walking up the Carriage Road past the gate up to the shed at 1.3 miles...I then took the Green Trail and it had some ice/snow up high where I used microspikes...I went down the White Trail and that trail was really snow free except for one spot, which is maybe only 25 yards or so, and may be gone by Wednesday...also looked like trails over towards Piper Mt. were snow free, as it is mostly hardwoods over that way...the White Trail starts from the Carriage Road up higher, right after a hairpin turn on the right side, marked by a post-top painted white and trail sign in the woods a little...

The problem with snowline is that it doesn't take into account shading. Four days ago the Ammo trail up to lakes had snow on it from start to finish. Desolation Trail up Carrigan is somewhat infamous for holding onto snow very late in the spring. Downes Brook Trail is another one. Generally posting snow free trails is more effective.

The Uncanoonucs are snow-free. We took the kids up there yesterday--beautiful hike (minus the concrete jungle at the top).

A little bit of mud but nothing out of the ordinary for April.

We started at the winter lot on Belknap Mtn. Rd. and did Gunstock, Belknap, and Piper. All were snow/ice free with the exception of a short bit on the Blue Trail from the Gunstock/Belknap col up to Belknap and a bit on the White Trail descending toward Piper. All easily avoided. Could do this hike in low hikers currently with a few places where careful foot placement would be needed.

Did the Doubleheads this morning...was able to bareboot...a few patches of snow/ice but easily negotiated...

Pick a trail on Mt. Cardigan. Snow free. (Minus a 30 foot section on Manning trail that was a small pain to descend.)

Last edited: