Camera Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Canon G10, which is a high-end P&S. It takes great pictures for a P&S but is bulky and heavy. So, for a specific project this winter I purchased a $90 Canon from Amazon that slides in and out of a pocket and operates on full automatic with mitts on (I eschewed a case for speed and convenience).

Take a look at these pics and see what 90 bucks'll get you nowadays. I wonder if we can thank smart phone cameras for the drop in prices.

Hi Neil,

I must admit that those a pretty impressive shots for a $90 camera. So far I am happy with my Canon Powershot SX280 HS . The zoom works pretty well without compromising too much detail. Here is a shot at about 14x out of a maximum suggested range of 20x. The Olympus Tough sounds like a goo deal as well.magnolia 4 25 14.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use a Canon point-and-shoot, various models throughout the years, complementing my Canon dSLR's; however, I've been thrilled with my Nikon AW110. This is their waterproof, cold-and-shock resistant offering, and while Nikon's menus and interface are mind-boggling (especially compared to the clean consistency of Canon's across all their models), the imaging is excellent. It has a GPS and altimeter built-in. It can record a track but I have not used that feature. I do, however, have the GPS enabled, and so long as you go to the website and download the assisted GPS data file and install it on the camera, finding location when I pull it out of my pocket is pretty quick. The data files are good for two weeks. Same technology as the GPS in your phone except your phone downloads the data from the cell network while the camera can't. The AW110 also has a wifi base station built into it, so you can create a tiny wireless network from it, attach your phone or tablet to the network, run Nikon's app, and and view/pull off the photos that way. It takes 1080p video at 30fps with an option to do 60fps clips. Even using the GPS to take photos on a long hike I have no trouble with battery life. With the AW120 now out (as mentioned earlier in this post) the AW110 can be had for as low as $229 if you can find it (Amazon has it from a few sellers). The AW120 runs around $300.