Altimeter advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRobi

Reaction score
I am asking for altimeter advice from the forum. I was (am?) looking for an altimeter. I prefer one on the wrist, which doubles as a watch. To that end, I purchased a High Gear Alti XT. I have been using it around the house and the altimeter function seems to be off consistently. I have set it using the current barometric pressure from NOAA, and using our elevation (400'). After both type of settings if we leave to go for a walk etc., by the time we are back we have either had a seismic uplift which results in our house gaining substantial elevation, or we have fallen into a crevasse and lost it.
I contacted High Gear and got little help, and when I just went to their website it says in a nice way we are no longer in business. I can return it to REI,
but after reading the old (2009) reports on altimeters on this site, I wonder if they all will be unreliable? With technology changing as much as it has in the last 5 years I am hoping that it has improved and another type/brand of altimeter will be more accurate. Updating the barometric pressure works, but is impractical at the trailhead or if the weather improves/declines during a hike.
What I would like is the following features (but I am not inflexible on other ideas that may work better)
1. Wrist model
2. BIG NUMBERS, so I don't need my reading glasses. :)
3. Compass, other features that might be handy. (always carry a "regular" compass this would be for quick reference)

I can purchase a GPS but we already have one which my wife carries, and having two seems redundant. I just want something to keep me informed on bush whacks etc. so I know about where we are without asking those I am with.
Thoughts?
It is also possible I am not setting it right, so if you have one and advice on this front I am open to help.
Ken

I have a Highgear Altiforce altimeter watch that I bought on Ebay 6 years ago and it has always worked great. The only time that the altimeter did not function was if the battery was getting weak. All other functions would work fine but the altimeter seemed be very sensitive to lower power. I wonder if yours sat on a shelf for a while at REI?

I have always just set the current elevation at a known point and it is within 25-50' for 2-3 days. I know that it is fairly obsolete technology, but I have no real need for a GPS.

I like my Suunto Core a lot. I had to get the light dial
background for it to be readable. REI and EMS both have them.
You need to reset the elevation at all known checkpoints
to keep up with barometer changes. Seems accurate enough.
Is it useful? If you stick to known trails like me, not so much.
It is fun to track your progress tho, and as another piece
Of navigation info, can't hurt. There's a slew of other features as well. Thumbs up.

I am asking for altimeter advice from the forum. I was (am?) looking for an altimeter. I prefer one on the wrist, which doubles as a watch. To that end, I purchased a High Gear Alti XT. I have been using it around the house and the altimeter function seems to be off consistently. I have set it using the current barometric pressure from NOAA, and using our elevation (400'). After both type of settings if we leave to go for a walk etc., by the time we are back we have either had a seismic uplift which results in our house gaining substantial elevation, or we have fallen into a crevasse and lost it.
I contacted High Gear and got little help, and when I just went to their website it says in a nice way we are no longer in business. I can return it to REI,
but after reading the old (2009) reports on altimeters on this site, I wonder if they all will be unreliable? With technology changing as much as it has in the last 5 years I am hoping that it has improved and another type/brand of altimeter will be more accurate. Updating the barometric pressure works, but is impractical at the trailhead or if the weather improves/declines during a hike.
What I would like is the following features (but I am not inflexible on other ideas that may work better)
1. Wrist model
2. BIG NUMBERS, so I don't need my reading glasses. :)
3. Compass, other features that might be handy. (always carry a "regular" compass this would be for quick reference)

I can purchase a GPS but we already have one which my wife carries, and having two seems redundant. I just want something to keep me informed on bush whacks etc. so I know about where we are without asking those I am with.
Thoughts?
It is also possible I am not setting it right, so if you have one and advice on this front I am open to help.
Ken

Quietman brings up a good point-a weak battery may be the culprit. But another thing to consider is that most pressure sensors are notoriously susceptible to temperature changes--there have to be compensating schemes to remove the effects of temperature changes since an end-user calibration. So replace the battery, always wear a wrist a while model before you calibrate it, and allow time for a non-wrist model to adjust for large, sudden temperature changes--ie coming from outside to inside or vice-versa.

These limitations are not the things the marketing people like to spell out, in my experience.

Last edited: