Why is it called "Red lining"???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
I have my own idea of where the term red lining comes from but I am interested if anyone knows the real answer.

My theory is from J.R.R. Tolkien.

I am not sure if I missed an inside joke with J.R.R. Tolkien reference but here is my seemingly obvious answer...FWIW

On my maps the trails are color coded in red. Doing them all means you are following all the "red lines". That is my guess but I am not a "red liner" myself.

Not being rude, just stating a possible, likely theory.

PS: I want a Steal Your Face Bandana. It's pretty sweet.

Z :D

The story I have heard goes back even further, to a time when maps used black lines, or dashed lines, to denote trails. People would use a red marker to retrace their routes, thus creating the red lines to show their progress.

The story I have heard goes back even further, to a time when maps used black lines, or dashed lines, to denote trails. People would use a red marker to retrace their routes, thus creating the red lines to show their progress.

This is the reason I have heard as well. Red lining is taking a red marker to the trails you have completed.

I have heard the same, that red liners use a red marker or pen to highlight the trail sections they have traveled on their map.

(If I'm guessing right, the Tolkien reference is probably to the "Red Book of Westmarch", which is the fictional book where supposedly much of the history of Middle Earth was recorded. Tolien gives you the impression that this book is the one that was written by Bilbo and Frodo and Sam, and the movie reinforces that idea. Tolkien also vaguely gives you the impression, without saying so explicitly, that he somehow found this book...)

Not to beat a dead horse but.....when you say it goes way back,,,well the Hobbit was published in '37. The book has a distinct reference to red lining. Gandalf tells Bilbo that all his maps have "red lines" designating what trails he has completed.

This was just a thought I had walking with Marley out to Bridal Veil falls.

So if the trails are red now on the maps and some of us use a black magic marker, are we "black-lining" :)

Not to beat a dead horse but.....when you say it goes way back,,,well the Hobbit was published in '37. The book has a distinct reference to red lining. Gandalf tells Bilbo that all his maps have "red lines" designating what trails he has completed.

This was just a thought I had walking with Marley out to Bridal Veil falls.

I would not be surprised if the Tolken piece represents an example of a (then) modern reference in his book. :)

And here is the patch - to see the pen in action! Real red-liners use a real red sharpie!!! ;)

(I'm not there yet but I am getting close!) :)

And here is the patch - to see the pen in action! Real red-liners use a real red sharpie!!! ;)

(I'm not there yet but I am getting close!) :)

I suspect many of us are axtually 'Excelers'.

Red-lining is when drag racers over-rev their engines past the red line on their tachometers

This is another example of Ed's revisionism, this practice was previously known more descriptively as trail-bagging

Engineering drawings that have been revised to reflect any changes during construction or commissioing (i.e. As Built) are commonly referred to as red line drawings. The standard was (is?) to use a red pencil to show deletions and green pencil to show additions.

This is the reason I have heard as well. Red lining is taking a red marker to the trails you have completed.

And thus, I say that I've "orange-lined" a trail if I haven't hiked it in a long time (and the marker has faded).