Big news about Moosilauke Ravine Lodge...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With enough money (should not be a problem with their endowment!!!!) they could make it work and preserve it... however, it seems like it's not big or fancy enough for the clientele... I would guess they'll take a few pics, take out a few logs, raze it, and put up a fancy schmancy, zero-emissions, self-sustaining, Leeds-certified, "green" building/castle more representative of the user population... a shame... but, they definitely need more room to put all those plaques :) ?

Makes me think of the Highland Center!!!! Remember those quaint bunkhouses????? Sure, they weren't comfy but they worked for some real hikers!!!!

How about some high mpg parking spots out front?

:) sorry if I've offended any alums/students - I went to a technical "institute" ;) with its own historic building teardowns in downtown Cambridge, Ma :)

Last edited:
There is really no way to preserve some parts of MRL. The purlins covering the main room are well past their expected life time and no replacement logs are to be found. We've known for a while that when they fail the Lodge as we know it would have to change. All of us who have lived and worked there will be sad to see the change but it has to happen. The building in its present form can not last. There has been lots and lots of change in the 30+ years I've been going to MRL, so much that you would barely recognize it over the years. It's inevitable that more change is coming.

I have faith that any new building will represent the same spirit as the current building, but with many improvements. It may even go back to allowing winter use, which was the sole purpose of the building when it was designed and constructed.

MRL's history has been of constant change. It's not a place that has been frozen in time. It's not even serving it's original purpose and hasn't in 40 years.

It can certainly be argued that each generation should build (or rebuild) in the idiom of its age. The Swiss Alpine Club is faced with the same problem of aging huts, and is rebuilding them in an unabashedly 21st century style. The best example (some of you may call it the worst ;)) is the Monte Rosa Hut, which two groups of my friends are eagerly planning to visit this summer.

Neue_Monte_Rosa_Huette2.JPG

With enough money (should not be a problem with their endowment!!!!) they could make it work and preserve it... however, it seems like it's not big or fancy enough for the clientele... I would guess they'll take a few pics, take out a few logs, raze it, and put up a fancy schmancy, zero-emissions, self-sustaining, Leeds-certified, "green" building/castle more representative of the user population... a shame... but, they definitely need more room to put all those plaques :) ?

Makes me think of the Highland Center!!!! Remember those quaint bunkhouses????? Sure, they weren't comfy but they worked for some real hikers!!!!

How about some high mpg parking spots out front?

:) sorry if I've offended any alums/students - I went to a technical "institute" ;) with its own historic building teardowns in downtown Cambridge, Ma :)

Those Bunkhouses rocked!!!1 I remember splitting wood in front of the stove, drinking whiskey and thinking, this is like the best place in the world!!!!!! One nigh,t I drank so much, I grabbed my sleeping bag in went out into a stormy winter night. My friends found me the next day with my feet sticking out of a snow cave I dug 30 ft from the cabin. Those were the day's.:D As far as the lodge in question, sometimes you have to move on.

We stayed at the lodge one weekend when there was a wedding. We were watching a movie downstairs when the evening revelers were dancing to disco music overhead. There were times when dancers were stomping to the beat of the music and the continuous flexing of those old rustic beams was causing me to worry for our safety. The place is very popular for weddings. The designers should take into account dancing loads. Armies crossing bridges are supposed to march out of step so as to not start up sympathetic vibrations. Try telling that to dancers! Forbid disco music???

I met the designer of the lodge once back in the 80's and we brought him downstairs during a square dance. When we pointed out the flexing of the beams he said that they did that the day the lodge was built. They were designed to do that. :)

But I'm sure they've lost a bit of their springiness since then.

It can certainly be argued that each generation should build (or rebuild) in the idiom of its age. The Swiss Alpine Club is faced with the same problem of aging huts, and is rebuilding them in an unabashedly 21st century style. The best example (some of you may call it the worst ;)) is the Monte Rosa Hut, which two groups of my friends are eagerly planning to visit this summer.

Man, gorgeous place, Mohamed. I like your outlook on things.

First the sign and now this. :(

It does make me reminiscent of the golden years of this storied location (not that I am really old enough to have any memories of the former glory of that time period).

I am, however, a big fan of tradition and the rustic nature that lies at the heart of the hiking lifestyle.

My guess is that Dartmouth will make a strong effort to preserve some of the feel and historical elements that make the Ravine Lodge so special.

A Monte Rosa style hut would be cool but its austerity lacks the soul of a good old fashioned log structure.

Z

On the summit this morning I ran into a couple guys who'd stayed at The Lodge last night. They'd heard nothing about it, and thought the place was in great shape. Mum's the word with the croo, I guess. On the way out I saw one of the bunkhouses they're renovating... My impression was that aesthetics aren't a primary concern. I'm not worried about the big lodge, though: I imagine some C&T alum or alums will pony up a couple zillion for something really nice ;-)

The bunkhouses have been rebuilt over the past few years, that process has been going on since the early 90's. The signs of needed repair at MRL are easy to spot if you know where to look. It's not easy for guests to see it without gaining access to a good view of the purlins. The college has already started communicating this story to the alumni of the Outing Club, so the story has some validity behind it.

Aesthetics are very important in any changes at Moosilauke. The projects get discussed quite heavily.

The bunkhouses have been rebuilt over the past few years, that process has been going on since the early 90's.
The new class of '74 bunkhouse is just being completed now, and then they'll tear down the Class of '65 bunkhouse for the next rebuild. After that the Bicentennial bunkhouse is the only ancient one left and is next on the queue for replacement. The Dartmouth "campus" at Moosilauke is in constant change, and the replacement of the Lodge will be the biggest change to come.

The new class of '74 bunkhouse is just being completed now, and then they'll tear down the Class of '65 bunkhouse for the next rebuild. After that the Bicentennial bunkhouse is the only ancient one left and is next on the queue for replacement. The Dartmouth "campus" at Moosilauke is in constant change, and the replacement of the Lodge will be the biggest change to come.

Not the first time it has been rebuilt. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UMPLON7zTIq7Ags25trgYpQ&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cWc