Madison thru Pierce presi; Garfield 5-25-14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
5-25-14

Took Valley way. Trail is in good shape for this time of year. We hit some ice/hard monorail above the campsite but nothing that can't be bypassed by stepping on rocks. Madison was in the clouds on the way up and when we were just below the hut it started to rain and hail on us. It subsided in a few minutes so we continued on to see how far we could make it before the weather turned worse. Starr Lake was much nicer with a little bit of sun and no wind but another rain shower approached while on Adams so we continued on to get some distance from it. It hailed again briefly when we were heading up Jefferson and within minutes we had blue skies. The weather only got better the rest of the way. There was some mud/water on the trail in a few places by Monticello Lawn and again heading towards Lakes. It was downright hot in the sun on the Southerns and thankfully was bug-free. There was continuous ice/monorail below treeline on Pearce heading down the Crawford Path but usually there were ways to bypass it. It was a great day out there even with the little bit of hail and constant threat of storms. Glad the weather guys missed on the forecast. Gave me enough of a weather window to head to Garfield afterwards...

Garfield had some muddy sections down low on the logging road but I've seen it much worse in other years so it was actually looking pretty decent. There's a few large blow downs on the lower trail as well. Some shallow standing water on the trail but I was able to keep my feet dry. There was a tiny bit of ice on the steeps just below the summit but it can be bypassed and surely will be gone by next weekend. Fun day out there...

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com