Laugavegur Trek, Iceland - Logistical questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We're planning a trip to Iceland this summer and are probably doing the Laugavegur Trek, staying at the huts. We have reservations lined up but the biggest question right now is should we do a 4th night, staying at a hut at the endpoint, or simply catch the bus on the last day back to Reykjavik. For anyone who has done the hike, what can you tell us about the logistics of that last day, or of any of the days if you have more information. We're eagerly anticipating the stream crossings. :)

How warm sleeping bags did you bring? Anything else (besides ear plugs) that are a must bring?

Other suggestions about places to visit and hike in Iceland are greatly welcome. It looks like we'll have 4 days after the trek before we head home.

A bit hokey, but the Blue Lagoon, not far from the Rejkjavik airport, comprises sprawling, shallow pools of mineral water, which is the color of a Blue Margarita, produced and heated by geothermal springs that power an adjacent power-plant. You can smear your skin with a fine silica mud said to be beneficial, and there are steam-baths, saunas, a swim-up bar and a small waterfall to pound your shoulders. We found it a wonderfully relaxing antidote to jet lag.

Another obvious but excellent choice is the "Golden Circle" of geothermally active areas northeast of Reykjavik, where the American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet. This includes Gullfoss, a massive and beautiful pair of waterfalls that rival Niagara, but without any development, and the nearby Geysir area of hot springs, the most impressive of which is Strokkur (The Churn), which erupts like Old Faithful at irregular intervals, averaging every five minutes or so. In that same area are the Fontana Steam Baths, a much quieter alternative to the Blue Lagoon.

Reykjavik itself is worth the better part of a day and evening. The Botanical Gardens are beautiful and immaculately maintained.

Last edited:
Why walk after the trek when you can ride? On a breed that is unique to the island and an essential part of its history – Icelandic horse tours I have no personal experience but you have enough time to find a good operator. And what will the swells in Beantown think when you casually mention it afterward? :cool:

I did ride the Icelandic ponies when I was in Iceland about 8 years ago. I went with a small operator right near Gulfoss, if I remember correctly. These rental places are easy to find--dotted all over. Icelandic horses/ponies are small and sturdy, not to mention super cute! As a Beantown swell myself (!), I highly recommend this! You don't need to be an expert rider, as these trail rides are set up for the lowest common denominator of newbie riders. Have a blast--neigh!