Bond Traverse - my vote is N to S

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to get the N-S traverse in 1st week of August (as always reasonable weather permitting) as we'll be up at Lafayette for the week. Any thoughts on how much water to pack in and availabitlity after Guyot Shelter?

Depends on how much water you need per effort expended, I'd imagine, and of course on the weather conditions. My rough reckoning, to plan for the worst, would be to pack as much water as you need to get to Zeacliffs from Zealand Road, if there were no hut. I've not hiked the Bonds, only Zealand on a there-and-back, so am extrapolating from other hikes I've done and what I've heard and read about the Bonds and Guyot.

Yeah, really no hard and fast answer. Effort expended, Heat index of the day both could be quite variable. Not a bad idea hiking with minimal water to the Hut (as mentioned by "Peakbagger") then topping everything off. Planning for the worst possible scenarios is always a prudent approach. Economy of effort is what i'm looking for as i've not done anything this long by at least 5 miles, so a side trip down to and back from Guyot is not something i'd look forward to but would not hesitate if it seemed we were consuming our water at a faster rate and needed it. Thoughts much appreciated and noted!

There is always the option of treating water from Zeacliff Pond. It's only .1 miles and less than 100' down from the Twinway and the bulk of the elevation gain will be out of the way.

I'd bring one liter for the trip to Zealand, then fill two or three bottles and drink up at the hut. From there, I'd filter any other water. It's a bit of a drop down to Guyot and from the hut just a few miles away. IMO, once your on Guyot, the rest is pretty easy and the views help make it easy. You might need to filter it as you get well below Bondcliff but there's plenty down low.

I'd bring one liter for the trip to Zealand, then fill two or three bottles and drink up at the hut. From there, I'd filter any other water. It's a bit of a drop down to Guyot and from the hut just a few miles away. IMO, once your on Guyot, the rest is pretty easy and the views help make it easy. You might need to filter it as you get well below Bondcliff but there's plenty down low.
Yeah, with the collective experiences and opinions i'm getting that seems to be the general plan i'll be going with. Or it could be that Colchester minds think alike? Thanks!! Looking so forward to this one