Adams & Madison via King Ravine & Howker Ridge, 5/31/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
May 31, 2014: Adams & Madison via King Ravine & Howker Ridge

Trails: Air Line Trail, Short Line Trail, King Ravine Trail, Gulfside Trail, Osgood Trail, Howker Ridge Trail, Sylvan Way, Valley Way

Summits: Adams, Madison

Hikers: Keith Malone and me

Up to the night before we had a group of three for the hike but the third hiker wasn’t feeling well and decided to stay home. Keith and I were both early to Appalachia and got started ahead of schedule. We had a light rain at the trailhead but the weather experts predicted it to end by mid-morning. With complete faith in the story they were telling we set off knowing the day would dry out eventually. As expected we had mild temperature, no wind, fog, and wet. The fog was predicted to be around until as late as midday.

Our route started with Air Line and then Short Line. This combination of trails got us to the first main target for the day; King Ravine Trail. Along the way to King Ravine Trail we enjoyed trails that were generally clear and with limited mud. It wasn’t until near the start of King Ravine Trail that we started into the standing water and mud pits along the trail. In some cases there were small herd paths to bypass the obstacle. Another interesting thing happened as we approached the start of King Ravine Trail; the rocks got larger, and eventually became really big boulders. The floor of King Ravine has a boulder field that the trail passes through. Under normal conditions the boulders present a challenge. The rain gave us anything but normal conditions. Everything was extremely slippery and we needed to stay focused to avoid a mishap that would certainly leave a mark.

We reached King Ravine and started across the boulder field. Very soon it was clear this was going to be an interesting experience. Some of the normal routes were too slippery to follow and alternates were needed. We were always able to find a route that would get us where we needed to go. We slowly made our way over and around huge boulders. At times we were using hands and feet to lift ourselves onto the boulder we were trying to get past. Progress was slow but that’s mainly because we recognized the difficult conditions we had and didn’t try to force anything. We were able to generally stay on-trail but every move was thought through before we made it.

We reached the foot of the headwall and the climb started. We still had huge boulders but now we also had a steep climb. Many times we were deciding left or right with regard to which way around this next boulder looks best. Each of us spent time in the lead climbing to the junction with Air Line. We finally reached the trail junction roughly one hour over book time to that point in our hike plan. All things considered, not bad.

After a short break we set off following the usual route for Adams via Air Line. The fog that was still coming through was really thick. Usually, visibility was limited to only one cairn. Keith and I are both very familiar with the route to Adams via Air Line and there was never a concern on making our way to the summit. We slowly made our way up the ~.6 miles to the summit. There we found a place with calm conditions and had a quick snack. After our refreshment and adding a layer we were ready to continue with our day. We met Roby on the summit and he gave us an assist with a couple pictures (Thanks Roby). While we were getting our summit pictures the fog started to clear and the views started to arrive.

Before a chill set in we needed to move. We took off for Madison. On the descent from Adams the fog really cleared out and we had the high, broken clouds discussed in various forecasts, and the distance views that are so rewarding in the Northern Presidentials. The second half of the day was sunny, warm, very little wind, and dry; all good.

We made our way back to Gulfside Trail and followed it north to the Madison Springs Hut. The hut is still on its winter closure but the shutters were off and the doors open. I assume the hut croo was preparing the place for its opening for the season next week. After a brief break at the hut we were on the climb to the summit of Madison. We had terrific conditions to enjoy, outstanding views, and were in no real rush. The cameras spent quite a but of time out of their cases and the climb probably took a little longer than usual as a result. Eventually we were approaching the summit of Madison with 360 degrees to enjoy as our reward for the effort.

The route we followed coming in wasn’t the easiest available, and our exit route presents some challenge as well. Howker Ridge Trail is a nice trail and a terrific change of pace away from Valley Way as a route down to Appalachia from Madison. The trail starts off steep and pretty rough. It stays that way well below the treeline. Of all the trail segments from our day, Howker Ridge Trail was in the toughest shape with a large number of blowdowns along the way. A nice change we enjoyed on Howker Ridge Trail was soon after dropping below the treeline we were generally off the rocks and hiking on a mild trail surface. The feet were getting a break from the endless rock-hopping of the Northern Presidentials.

There are four small peaks called “Howks” along the ridge that the trail passes over and each one has either a steep approach, departure, or both. These howks were very good at reminding me of just how tired I had become in the course of the day. Slowly we made our way along the ridge past the final howk and were on a long descent to Hitchcock Falls. Keith heard the falls first and eventually I was able to hear the sounds of the water. By the time we reached the actual flow it was pretty loud. Below the falls the trail crossing includes rocks that are submerged but they are very close to the surface and we had no trouble with wet feet; our boots were high enough and waterproof enough to handle the shallow crossing.

From Hitchcock Falls we had a very short walk to Sylvan Way, which included a couple additional blow downs. We made the turn and headed to Appalachia, a little over one mile away. It was early evening, the sun was gone and soon it would be dark. I was pretty sure we would be able to wrap this one up before needing headlights. We settled into a relaxed pace and walked the final mile to the trailhead reaching our waiting vehicles before darkness arrived.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

casualty of the day were my near new Keen boots. stitching near toes has started to come apart. guess the northern Pressies are a good test of a boot and these failed. another awesome day, thanks Earl!

Great trip report. I am planning to do King Ravine not his year. You gave me a god idea of what to expect. Now I can't wait. There are many trails to choose from. When I get closer to going, I will ask everyone's opinion of which trail would be best.
I am sure I will get many suggestions.
MZ

casualty of the day were my near new Keen boots. stitching near toes has started to come apart. guess the northern Pressies are a good test of a boot and these failed. another awesome day, thanks Earl!
Thanks Keith,

A fun day for sure, I’m glad we were able to do this one together. Sorry about your boots.

I have managed to destroy two pair of Merrell boots and one pair of Vasque boots in the Northern Presidentials. The rocks there are really aggressive. I found the only way I can get through there without significant boot damage is to constantly remind myself to Walk on the bottom of the boots. It’s too easy to drag the boots from one foot placement to the next, especially when exhaustion starts to arrive. Forcing myself to pick up my feet helps avoid the damage. I also try hard to avoid bumping my toes on the rocks. This also helps a lot. The seams in the toe area are always the problem.

:eek:

Great trip report. I am planning to do King Ravine not his year. You gave me a god idea of what to expect. Now I can't wait. There are many trails to choose from. When I get closer to going, I will ask everyone's opinion of which trail would be best.
I am sure I will get many suggestions.
MZ
Thanks Mike,

When you ask for suggestions, expect at least one of them to be “Hike someplace else.”

I think it’s a fun area, but not everybody shares that particular opinion.

:D

The northern presis are the type of terrain that Limmers were designed for. That's why they are the unofficial uniform of RMC folks (and a lot of AMC and forest service trail crews). The trade off is the long break in period your feet require to break into the boot and the extra pound or weight attached to both feet. They are practically shred resistant and are routinely rebuilt.

I used to use them and finally decided the trade off wasn't worth it and have used trail runners eversince.