mt. snow 6/6/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/6/14

trails: service roads, long john, summit loop, bushwhack, snowdance

conditions: lots of parking at the base of the ski area. the mountain asks that hikers register at the "snow mountain sports" building. no fee, but you do have to sign your life away. you can also get a free map showing the summer hiking and biking trail routes (also available online). the summer hiking trail routes that i guess are generally marked were not marked on the lower mountain due to a recent "tough mudder" event. i worked my way over to the long john trail picking it up near the bear trap lift. above that point it was marked with yellow stakes. near the summit lodge an orange marked route leads up to near the highpoint. the true highpoint was a short walk into the woods past the chairlift. this was a bit of a surpirse, but intuitive once up there. trails were all pretty dry at that point in the day with occasional muddy patches. i descended via the snowdance trail which was marked with pink stakes up high, but markers were removed down low.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: after a wet morning hike skies started to clear so i deciced to take a hike up snow. great views ranging from greylock to the south, monadnock to the east and stratton, dorset and equinox to the north. also a great look to the north ridge of glastenbury where i had hiked earlier in the day. beautiful afternoon. the descent via snowdance was particularly scenic.

bryan

[email protected]