Pee Etiquette question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or if "other things" happen. :eek:

Reprising a bit of dialog from two friends some years ago: "He's going to eat it!...Oh god, he ate it! Get him! Get him!" . . . "I ain't touchin' him." :D

...or if "other things" happen. :eek:

Reprising a bit of dialog from two friends some years ago: "He's going to eat it!...Oh god, he ate it! Get him! Get him!" . . . "I ain't touchin' him." :D

Guess that takes care of the "bury or pack it out" question.

When my wife Susan (aka Squirrel) has a bathroom break on the trail she goes into the woods (but can still be seen from the trail) and I stand guard looking up and down the trail for approaching hikers. When someone comes along I tell them my wife is on a bathroom break and they usually wait. What is the etiquette for nature calls on the trail? Thanks. Tuck

Hi Tuck. The solution that works for my young daughter and I when she needs to go would also work for you and your wife as well as not infringing on anyone on the trail. You can both leave the trail to a point where you can still clearly see the trail. Your wife can then continue on out of sight of the trail but still within sight of you. She then comes to you after and you both go to the trail together. As long as she can see you and you can see the trail, no worries. And no worries of surprises either.

Wearing a hiking skirt (not a skort with built in shorts) with a pair of lycra shorts. When you pull down the shorts, the skirt provides some modesty. people may still know you are peeing but you are covered up. You can also try up to standing with your back to a tree and squatting down into a chair position. even with your shorts pulled down to the knees, you do not have a lot of exposed area. again, people may still know you are peeing but really do not have your privates exposed to everyone.

This thread got me think about an incident at Cater Notch Hut about 25 yrs ago, (yes I'm old). I was leaving the hut (winter time) and just outside the door found the caretaker (a woman) sqwauting there doing her morning ritual. I turned away and said woops sorry but Im leaving. She said " Dont worry its cool" and preceeded to engage me in conversation. We chatted for 10 min. or so and she never moved from her spot. I thought she was cool and was glad to say goodbye, but it was slightly awkward, her modesty level was quite high. I walked away thinking two things, one, that she was a cool gal and two, that she may have been up there to long.:eek:

Last edited:
I think I would be pretty aggravated if someone blocked my path while another party member took a bathroom break. I am not interested in people going to the bathroom, but I am interested in keeping up my pace. Luckily, it has never happened. I usually have headphones on though and keep to myself. So maybe it has and I was oblivious.

I think I would be pretty aggravated if someone blocked my path while another party member took a bathroom break. I am not interested in people going to the bathroom, but I am interested in keeping up my pace. Luckily, it has never happened. I usually have headphones on though and keep to myself. So maybe it has and I was oblivious.

Yes it seems counter intuitive to call attention to an activity and having to explain the situation while striving for privacy.

Just to be clear, Leave No Trace advocates 200 feet (70 adult steps) away from water before doing almost everything, including disposal of human waste and grey water.

The AMC had a good policy for bathroom breaks on club hikes. Called a separation, the group would split into two gender groups...Seems like a good idea since you are hiking (most likely) with some strangers.

But, if you don't want to be seen, getting out of sight seems to be about right. But for crips sake don't stare if you come across a situation.

Here's a tale; Once on a bushwhack along the East Branch of the Neversink, and on the old road/trail I heeded the call of nature. I stepped off the "trail", just because it was too close to the water and well, not nice to pee on the treadway of a trail (in my opinion). So, I headed up-hill and behind a tree and a minute later I heard voices and then a couple with dog appeared. Thought I was golden, but the pooche gave me away. :-(. Luckily I was done :p. I even knew the women. Just shows that you never know.

I think that skirts might solve many an embarrassing situation. :-D.

Speaking of the Catskills, the 3500 Club has the same policy and the same name. I wonder who stole the name from who? :D

(Yes, I know, we have lots of common members).

Speaking of the Catskills, the 3500 Club has the same policy and the same name. I wonder who stole the name from who? :D

(Yes, I know, we have lots of common members).

Well, when ever I hiked with the 3500' Club (goin' back about 17 years) I don't recall this term was used. But it was used on AMC hikes, so I think that the chicken came first.
:-D.

But seriously, I also think that anyone who leaves TP behind (and especially sanitary napkins or tampons) should be forced to police up Central Park's Ramble...alone. For a year. By hand.