Santanonis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gremlin,

I think you should be able to cross it with no issues as long as there is not heavy rain the day before. Here is a link with pics to my Santanoni Range hike (Click Here) , there are some pics of the old rickety bridge, looks like you should be good to go!

Enjoy your finish!!!

-Chris

Note that there were two bridges. Chris's photo shows the second. Last December when I climbed Santanoni the first bridge had been removed, and I understand the second has now been demolished. As Chris said, mind the weather report and you should be fine.

Those two guys are posers, they could not be on Couchie - they aren't muddy enough :D

Those two guys are posers, they could not be on Couchie - they aren't muddy enough :D

Maybe it's like the commercial with the kids and dad on Skype with mom, the entire kitchen is a mess except for what she sees on the cam.

We stepped carefully, although it wasn’t always easy.

Actually, this was August 2009. My fifth time up in the range, and I’d never seen the conditions so good. A month earlier, the conditions up there were the worst I’d ever seen. It took us 45 minutes just to get up Panther from Herald Square in July, so we blew off Couchsachraga that hike and just went to Santanoni, descending on the Santanoni Trail.

When we returned to bag Couchee, I couldn’t believe how great it was. The mudhole two-thirds of the way down the herd path was still there, of course, but not impossible. After we got back to Herald Square, I went by myself to climb Panther a fifth time while Cam stayed behind. I wanted to go for Santanoni, too — I’d never climbed all three in one hike — but Cam didn’t want to so we just went back down Panther Brook herd path, where Cam slipped and cut his leg.