baxter state park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, firewood is sold inside the park, $3.00 per bundle, usually at the ranger cabins. The fire ring we had at Katahdin Stream CG had a grate, although I do not know if they all do. We were just there the first week of July.

ledge Falls is great swimming, The twin brothers lakes on North end great as well, but a long drive from KS. Wood at every ranger campground, $3 per bundle(bring cash) fire rings have grates. Consider fire starting strategies, even kindling gathering is discouraged at car camping areas

For kindling I usually stop at wide spot in the road away from the campsites and load up with deadwood on the way back from a hike. I also bring a folding saw and cut dead blowdown but usually cut it off the road a bit. There are plenty of dead end roads to pull into that only require a very short walk and all the kindling you will need is available.

One thing to remember about BSP firewood is that they sometimes have softwood and hardwood. Softwood burns nice but fast while hardwood is good for cooking. Its usually pretty good wood but on few occasions it was quite damp.

I asked at the gate two years ago about bringing in kindling, I was told that the prohibition is against firewood, clean processed kiln dried wood scraps were acceptable to bring into the park. The standup grilles at the group sites are actually charcoal grilles, a bag of charcoal briquettes is a nice option. Alternatively pick up duraflame type log and cut it up into pieces for a firestarter.

all good info people, thanks..I always ax up some 2x6 cut pieces for kindling. always gets it going. I'm bringing a propane camp grill to cook mostly but I will use a cook basket overtop the grate since there is one. Only trouble with ranger wood or wood I find to buy, is that it rarely is dry and no good or hard burning. Most wood in the ADK park is pine and freshly cut and very wet.

Yes, the rangers told us anything already down or on the ground was also fair game for the fire ring. We also stopped along the road and gathered up some birch bark, and other kindling material.

If I wanted to stop after 6 hours of driving , somewhere from Portsmouth to Portland, any cheap hotels in the area to bed for the night?

Are you going to Baxter? Because a couple more hours would get you to Millinocket.

My wife and I had trouble finding anything cheap near Portland. We ended up staying in a chain motel near the airport, but it wasn't cheap.

Are you going to Baxter? Because a couple more hours would get you to Millinocket.

My wife and I had trouble finding anything cheap near Portland. We ended up staying in a chain motel near the airport, but it wasn't cheap.

I am... debating on getting some drive out if i can stay reasonable. if not start early and arrive at 5pm

Reasonable is a relative term in coastal New England in the summer.:rolleyes: That being said, you might want to consider the Anchorage Inn in Portsmouth http://www.anchorageinns.com/Welcome_Portsmouth.html. It is right off Route 95, close to the State Liquor Store.

My sister (from Penn Yan, NY) and her family stayed there and said it was fine. Prices are probably in the low $100's per night.

Have fun in BSP!

Marty

thanks All.. Leaving in the Am.. My Subee blew a head gasket last night so I rented a car... oh the fun lol ..
On a trip to Baxter in 1983 the Suby were driving in blew a head gasket somewhere in Maine. We dropped it off at a shop, piled in the other truck we had and continued on our merry way. Have fun.

Great trip, swam once at the falls to clean up, boy is that cold....hit sentinal mtn on sunday and summitted on monday... Cool temps and wide open views..spectacular... Thanks for all the help people... One thing i was not ready for was the small leantoos... Hardly room for 3 and no gear...lucky the car is right there..wonderful campground though..