spruce mountain 6/16/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/16/14

trails: summit trail

conditions: good parking lot at the end of spruce mountain road which i reached from route 302 east of barre via reservoir, east hill and spruce mountain roads. all junctions well signed. directions can be found in the green mountain club dayhikers guide. the trail had great walking on the old road bed down low. gradually the trail became rougher with some muddy sections. as the trail really began to ascend higher up there was a fair amount of exposed wet ledge none of which seemed to slippery. the firetower is in good shape though some of the floor boards in the cab don't inspire a lot of confidence and the roof has seen better days (no thanks to what look to be bullet holes in it). highpoint is adjacent to the tower on a small rise with the remains of the firewardens cabin and a nice ledge across the summit clearing.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: given the nice day after hiking a bit to the south earlier i decided to take a later afternoon hike up the very cool peak. this looks to be a popular local hike and it is understandable why with a nice climb on mostly good trail to a fantastic view from the summit tower. the view out to the main spine of the green mountains is phenomenal with views stretching down past killington to the south and jay to the north. also a great look into nh and the whites as well as northern nh. signal, butterfield and knox dominate close by to the east and the worcester range is close to the west. probably my favorite firetower view to date. worth checking out on a nice day. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]