south mountain (south ludlow) 6/21/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/21/14

trails: catamount xc ski trail/forest road, bushwhack

conditions: from the height of land on rt 155 in mt holly i followed an unmarked dirt road north (shown in the vermont gazeteer as "government road"). in a short distance the road forks with the forest road continuing straight and a driveway to the right. i parked there, but ultimately could have continued roughly another mile to a gate past a sign and overgrown parking area for the okemo state forest. road would have been drivable in a sedan with some slight caution in spots. i walked the road up and past the gate where it became more grassy and overgrown. this is also the route of the catamount trail. eventually south mountain loomed up ahead and i started my bushwhack just past a sign asking snowmobiles to "stay on trail". the woods were open all the way to the summit with the expected lush undergrowth. though the usgs shows a broad flat summit contour the recognized high point was well defined. heading down on a line a bit more to the south i found some boggy sections, but then some of the nicest hardwood forest i can remember. would be amazing snowshoeing in winter.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: real nice hike/bushwhack. woods were fanstastic. a notable amount of bear sign along the way. great morning.

bryan

[email protected]

Last edited: