morse mountain, whiteface mountain, madonna peak, spruce peak 6/23/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/23/14

trails: lower chilcoot ski trail, link ski trail, upper chilcoot ski trail, long trail, bushwhack/herdpath, spruce peak summit trail, rum runner ski trail, black snake ski trail, lower exhibition ski trail

conditions: i parked in lot 3 at smugglers notch ski area just across the street (108) from the madonna/sterling base lodge. i noted others were parking right up by the lodge so i guess that is an option as well. ski trails were pretty soggy in places and occasionally a bit over grown. where upper chilcoot levels off before turning hard right up towards madonna i cut about 30 yards across a grown in bootleg ski trail (well marked with warning signs) and reached the long trail at chilcoot pass. the long trail was mostly dry with a bit of wet rock up towards morse. the trail contours around to the east, but does not go over the summit so at a good looking point a bit northeast of the summit i started to bushwhack up. up on the crest i stumbled on a previously maintained herd path that continued south up to the highpoint (and beyond). leaving i decided to see where the herd path led to the north thinking it may connect to the long trail, but it started to peter out so i turned hard east and picked the trail back up. once headed down towards whiteface shelter the trail was generally damp and potentially slippery. the same on the steep climb up whiteface with some wet ledge and small muddy patches. doubling back to chilcoot pass i continued up over madonna on the long trail with mostly dry going that continued down to sterling pond. following the long trail around the pond i continued straight towards spruce peak (spruce peak summit trail?) where the long trail turned off to head down towards 108. shortly i reached the upper lift of the spruce peak ski area and continued up hill to the right, the route marked with some cairns, on what seemed like old ski trails up to the summit ledges. doubling back to the top of the sterling mountain ski trails just beyond the pond i followed the trails listed above back down to the madonna/sterling base lodge. a few rough loose sections, but mostly good walking.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: these peaks had been on my radar for a while and this was definitely a great day to visit them. a bit hot to start climbing the ski trails, but cool in the shade of the long trail with a breeze later in the day. great hiking out to morse and whiteface with some nice view points. i spent a lot of time up on madonna enjoying the views and identifying summits. spruce has a spectacular look right across the notch to mansfield that was a great way to top off the day. real nice around sterling pond. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]