ADK backpacking/ peakbagging suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmountaingoat

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking ahead to a weekend in August (15th through 17th) as a possible weekend backpacking/ peakbagging adventure in the High Peaks. My bride-to-be and I have a fair bit of local hiking experience but limited backpacking and bushwhacking experience. I'm looking for some ideas of where to go.

I've been picking away slowly at my NE 115 over the last 10 years or so (5/46 ADK, 17/48 NH, 5/5 VT) and I'm finally in moderately good shape and have a few kid-free weekends to bag some of the tougher ADK peaks that can't reasonably be done as day hikes (for the likes of me :)). I've summited Giant, Cascade, Porter and the Wolf Jaws (I will probably save Marcy for my last 46er).

Ideal hike description: I'm looking for less than 6 miles to campsite/basecamp on day one. Day 2: 10-12 miles; Day 3 8-10 miles including the hike back to the car.

Thinking about possibly hiking to Feldspar Friday afternoon then nabbing Skylight and Gray on Saturday and maybe Colden on the way home Sunday. Something like that. But I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks,
Chad

You might want to try the Sewards Range although I'm not clear if that's what you're up to. They have some good lean-to camping there. Another possibility is the Dix range where you can be one of the first to climb Grace Peak.

I save Marcy for my last too. Good luck.

So to date, you've done no trail-less peaks. While they aren't what they were 20-30 years ago, they are still unmarked. Not sure I'd do Seymour as your first. Weekends will be busy, especially around Marcy Dam. Assuming your thinking of going in from Tahawus, getting to Feldspar requires passing over a log bridge that is floating over a few feet of water. Gray is a pretty rugged but not long herd path, Skylight is really nice.

If looking for some good views, I'd look at camping at Avalanche Camp. Because of the preference for a loop, I'd go back on Saturday to the trail up Algonquin and Wright's from .9 of a mile from the Loj (you could skip Wright's and just go up the steep trail from Lake Colden) do Wright's Algonquin and Iroquois, then descend to the lake, go through Avy pass and back to camp. On Sunday, do Colden early then break camp and head back to the Loj/HPIC lot. The Iroquois herd path is maintained more to keep traffic off the fragile bog is actually listed as trail 66 (I think) in the guidebook. It's also possible from Colden do to the Indian Falls crossover trail which brings you close to the Table Top herd path which is also pretty easy to follow.

If you felt good about following herd paths and you did Skylight & Gray on Saturday you could tackle Redfield &/or Cliff while in that area too. Love VFTT but you may want to try posting your question here too. http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/ This bulletin board is ADK focused and has several ADK experts. A few here and there too.

Regardless of which we decide to do, I'll do a full work-up before we head out. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to preparing for this kind of thing.

The Dixes seems like a great idea. I've read that they're not incredibly difficult.

Why would one hike to Feldspar from Tahawus instead of Heart Lake? It looks much shorter to hike in from the North.

Seward range seems like something I'd be better off having a little more experience under my belt before tackling.

Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois are slated for a big day hike, maybe in a couple of weeks. The hike you describe sounds pretty nice though.

I'll have to go check out the forum you linked.

Thanks to you both for your replies!

Feldspar LT is a nice spot with good tent sites and convenient water. Stayed there twice, going in from Heart Lake and past Lake Arnold. Given your Day 2 mileage, you might try Skylight & Gray in the morning, return to camp for lunch, and give Redfield & Cliff a go in the afternoon. With this jump on the day hikers there's a good chance you'll have Skylight to yourselves. Both times I looped out via spectacular Avalanche Pass.

Not sure as to the whereabouts of a floating bridge on the trail from Tahawus Mike P. mentions, but there is one between Lake Arnold and Feldspar. It can throw you, so before crossing it might be prudent to unbuckle your hip belt & sternum strap, not to mention sending the bride-to-be over first.

The Dixes are a good choice too, with not much elevation gain before you reach the lean-tos. Same goes for the Santanonis from Bradley Pond. The sites around Marcy Dam, the Flowed Lands, and Lake Colden will most likely be crowded on a summer's weekend.

Good luck with your trip. And don't forget a bear can if camping in the eastern High Peaks.

Brooks 92/115

Feldspar LT is a nice spot with good tent sites and convenient water. Stayed there twice, going in from Heart Lake and past Lake Arnold. Given your Day 2 mileage, you might try Skylight & Gray in the morning, return to camp for lunch, and give Redfield & Cliff a go in the afternoon. With this jump on the day hikers there's a good chance you'll have Skylight to yourselves. Both times I looped out via spectacular Avalanche Pass.

Not sure as to the whereabouts of a floating bridge on the trail from Tahawus Mike P. mentions, but there is one between Lake Arnold and Feldspar. It can throw you, so before crossing it might be prudent to unbuckle your hip belt & sternum strap, not to mention sending the bride-to-be over first.

The Dixes are a good choice too, with not much elevation gain before you reach the lean-tos. Same goes for the Santanonis from Bradley Pond. The sites around Marcy Dam, the Flowed Lands, and Lake Colden will most likely be crowded on a summer's weekend.

Good luck with your trip. And don't forget a bear can if camping in the eastern High Peaks.

Brooks 92/115

It's the same floating bridge, I went swimming last year. The walk from Tahawus avoids the bridge and the extra elevation gain by going past Lake Arnold. You will need the bear can too. Only thing with Dixes is you'll have to retrace a lot of elevation if using a lean-to as base camp, if memory serves, they are on the trail into Dix and quite low. I'm thinking day two Macomb and the two little D's and then on day three Dix and Hough, down Lillian Brook. It does have you on a lot of herd paths though. The path from Macomb's summit to East & then South is pretty easy to follow, not sure about the Lillian Brook descent though.

This probably brings up the question of whether certain herd paths should be done first to get used to these. I'd probably do Table Top, Esther and Street & Nye in my first few before tackling some of the longer or harder ones.