Alphabet Photography Game

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
This site's Photography forum has an inch of dust on it, so this is going here. The game is simple. First person posts a photo that "begins" with the letter "A". Next person posts a B photo, etc. Tell us something about the photo...not just "this is Mt Eisenhower". Tell us something interesting about the hike or some small detail of the photo that you like. You might think you're boring us, but you're not. That's the purpose of the game.

A is for Aperture. Use a very small aperture to get the star effect when shooting directly at the sun. The effect works best when the sun is "coming around the corner" of a tree/horizon/mountain/etc. This photo was shot at an aperture of f22. Durand Lake at sunrise.
IMG_7346e_edited-1-L.jpg

B is for Blurry-less. To get the silky effect with running water, use a longer shutter speed. Best to have support or a tripod, but this taken hand-held. This taken on the Crawford Path, just below Gibbs Falls.

P6216063.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
C is for Catskills. Anyone who wants to come visit sometime, just let me know!

This is sunset from the Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower, looking at Graham, Doubletop, and Slide in the distance. Lone, Table, and Peekamoose are also visible to the right.

IMG_5224.JPG

Last edited:
E for my son, Ethan, on Mt. Eisenhower! The Mt. Eisenhower Loop is in my trail maintenance region of the Southern Presies, so we get to hike it every year. Ethan is a sophomore at Quinnipiac University. Ahhhh.... that may be useful when we get to the Qs!

14351957640_76ca4a4a3e.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the thread is stuck on H so to get it going I thought I will add a picture of Hana, our two year old Shar pei, who joined our lives more than a year ago. When she was rescued she could hardly walk, and now she is a strong and friendly dog who loves the mountains. You should see her tail going when we ask her "Hana, do you want to go hiking?"

The photo was taken in the fall of 2013, hiking Cannon.

Last edited:
I is for Imp Face. On my second trip to hike the Whites, I went up the N. Imp Face Trail to the Carters & Wildcats. I assumed the Imp Face was somehow limned by the ledges, like the departed Old Man, but I didn't see any resemblance. Couldn't figure out why two divergent trails had the same name either. It wasn't until I climbed Madison via the Osgood Ridge that I had an Imp Face revelation.

P1030187.JPG

Attachments

• P1030187.JPG
    P1030187.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Not a lot of takers on the alphabet game so I will keep things rolling so this thread doesn't disappear.

K is for Kinsman Pond

p0f2V22.jpg

M is for Moosilauke with a complete madman. Hello to you, Gary. Many memories of running into you on 4K mountains. Not to mention one of my favorite hiking companions in the background.

5c37oJb.jpg

N is for.....

N is from North Twin.....N Twin 2-20-12 004.jpg...Styrofoam snow conditions with blue skies and below zero day made for a very challenging finger working picture taking kind of hike....

Last edited: