mt. mansfield from toll road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does hiking mt. Mansfield from the toll road count for peakbagging?
As mentioned it doesn't count by any list using AMC rules, but the Highpointers Club will count it as a state highpoint visited - they count driving up Mt Washington too

Does hiking mt. Mansfield from the toll road count for peakbagging?

Count for what? You should hike because you enjoy it, not because it allows you to tick something off a list. Add to the fact that Washington and Mansfield are two of the most scenic hikes in the east, you'd be a fool not to hike them top to bottom.

Point of clarification: If someone ascends and descends Washington, Mansfield or Equinox entirely on foot, with either ascent or descent, or both, being by auto road, starting at the base (going as far up as the road goes, of course, then walking by some other path the rest of the way to the summit). does that count for peakbagging? Does the season of the year make a difference on this point?

It's clear to me that one cannot ride up the Mount W Auto Road and start the Nelson Crag trail halfway up, but what if you walk the whole road, either up, down or both?

Example: I hiked Ascutney up via Wethersfield, then, due to darkness, down via trails to the Park auto road, then down via the road. Valid Fifty Finest summit bagged?

Last edited:
Point of clarification: If someone ascends and descends Washington, Mansfield or Equinox entirely on foot, with either ascent or descent, or both, being by auto road, starting at the base (going as far up as the road goes, of course, then walking by some other path the rest of the way to the summit). does that count for peakbagging? Does the season of the year make a difference on this point?

It's clear to me that one cannot ride up the Mount W Auto Road and start the Nelson Crag trail halfway up, but what if you walk the whole road, either up, down or both?

Example: I hiked Ascutney up via Wethersfield, then, due to darkness, down via trails to the Park auto road, then down via the road. Valid Fifty Finest summit bagged?

I don't know about Mansfield or Equinox, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to walk the Mt Washington Auto Road when it is open. The 'rule' is that you can't drive up/down these roads and claim that this constitutes 'driving to a trailhead.' Walking these three should be fine (if legal). Note that Ascutney is not Washington, Mansfield, or Equinox, so the 'auto road' rule wouldn't appear to apply in any case.

I don't know about Mansfield or Equinox, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to walk the Mt Washington Auto Road when it is open. The 'rule' is that you can't drive up/down these roads and claim that this constitutes 'driving to a trailhead.' Walking these three should be fine (if legal). Note that Ascutney is not Washington, Mansfield, or Equinox, so the 'auto road' rule wouldn't appear to apply in any case.

And just to be clear - the ne 50 finest isn't an AMC 4000-footer club list, so AMC rules aren't relevant.

OK, thanks. I was thinking, with respect to the Mount W Auto Road, of two scenarios:

1) Winter or winter conditions ascent or descent - esp in case of bad weather coming in, for a quicker, safer retreat;

2) "Nice time of year" descent, or perhaps ascent, at night, much like what I did last month on Ascutney, either with safety in mind, or just for the fun of it.

I'd bet, on a clear full moon night, that the views descending Washington by the Auto Road would be outstanding.

Last edited:
Count for what? You should hike because you enjoy it, not because it allows you to tick something off a list. Add to the fact that Washington and Mansfield are two of the most scenic hikes in the east, you'd be a fool not to hike them top to bottom.
"Enjoy" is precisely the word. Maybe "ticking something off a list" isn't for everyone and if it's not no one is asking them to do it. But some people really do enjoy "ticking peaks off a list" and they find great pleasure in the mountains as they do it. Since moving to the North Georgia Blue Ridge I've had to switch more to long trail hiking, but oh how I miss ticking off those peaks in the Whites.

Note that Ascutney is not Washington, Mansfield, or Equinox, so the 'auto road' rule wouldn't appear to apply in any case.
Ascutney is not on any AMC list hence doesn't appear in their list of toll roads, however those giving out the NE3k patches may extend the rule to all toll roads

And just to be clear - the ne 50 finest isn't an AMC 4000-footer club list, so AMC rules aren't relevant.
Andy Martin uses Highpointers Club rules for his lists so you may drive up and appear on his completers list, but if you want a patch from HE the AMC rules may apply