belvidere mountain, south tillotson, tillotson peak, haystack mountain 6/30/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/30/14

trails: frank post trail, foresters trail, long trail, bushwhack, herd path, haystack mountain spur trail

conditions: good parking area at the end of tillotson road a short distance into an active lumber area. road gets a bit rough after the last house and in a short distance the parking is to the left. shared with timber equipment currently. i reached tillotson road via mines road from rt 58. mines road was signed as closed 1000 yards past tillotson road so trying to come in the other way may not work out currently.
the first stretch of the frank post trail is in nice shape. a little wet where it crosses skidder roads. once on the foresters trail there were numerous small mud pits and wetter going. the trail is grown in with undergrowth a bit up high. the section leading up to the tower on belvidere was in nice shape. the long trail heading north was more of the same. wet and slippery rock/ledge in spots with a fair amount of mud. i followed the trail up along the west side of south tillotson until it was ready to drop again and then left on the short bushwhack up to the summit. mostly open woods with dry footing if you pick a good line. a varied on the way back out and got into some swampy stuff. back on the long trail it was more of the same down to tillotson camp and up to the east side of tillotson. i had anticipated a short bushwhack up to the summit, but instead found a flagged (at the start) herd path that led up to the summit. the highpoint is in the woods next to a clearing with a limited view back to south tillotson and belvidere. the trail drops pretty steeply off tillotson headed towards haystack with some wet slippery ledges then goes through more wet areas as it winds around below then back up onto the ridge. the walking was pretty good the rest of the way up to the haystack summit spur with just some wet rock/ledge in places. the spur is in good shape up to the summit area, the highpoint being just up and off of the trail. once back at tillotson camp i followed the frank post trail back down with mostly good walking but for a few wet and muddy sections. there are a couple notable water crossings on the foresters trail and one on the frank post trail that were not an issue today.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: great day in northern vt. by mid afternoon the heat was getting to be a bit much, but the possible thunder showers never materialized and in fact the day just got nicer. some cloud and haze early on belvidere, but by haystack the views were quite nice if a bit hazy. i had not spent much time on the long trail this far north and found it really takes on a much more wild quality than farther to the south. very quiet as well. loads of moose sign along the whole route. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]