Up Huntington Ravine, down Lion Head? Tucks? Boott Spur?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marving

Reaction score
Have done the presidential traverse from south to north over two days (stayed at lakes), but would like to do a hike that doesn't overlap any of that too much and it looks like Huntington Ravine would be a good choice going up. I've read it's a bit of a scramble which sounds fun, I could take Alpine Garden over and go down to Lion's Head lookout to check out the view, then I was planning to head back up to Alpine Garden and either head down Tuckerman Ravine trail or Boott Spur.

I've read a lot of people saying they prefer to go down Lion Head for the views but I figure if I go down to the look out that's probably the best view from that vantage point? So between Tuckermans and Boott Spur, which is the better experience/views? Not too concerned about crowds or difficulty. What do you guys prefer, going straight down the headwall or down the ridge?

I think either could be argued. Given the crowds on Tucks at most times, I would take Boott Spur as it gets less use.

Thanks but I'm not concerned with crowds, just wondering which has better views, if we check out the viewpoint on Lionhead perhaps its best to go down Tuckerman for a different vantage point since Boott Spur will have similar type views as Lion Head?

A choice would be bypass Lion's Head and get over to Boott Spur and go down to Boott Spur Link...down into Tuck's where on the way you are looking at Tucks and Lion's Head....or continue down Boott Spur all the way to see Split Rock and a few more viewpoints, including Harvard Rock...Boott Spur is more interesting to me..

The tuckerman ravine trail runs straight up/down the ravine headwall; once you're partway down you won't see much except the ravine you're in. It's a very nice ravine, but if you like long views you're better off staying on a high ridge as long as possible. The view from Lion Head isn't too different from the view from Alpine Garden; The view from Boott Spur starts to open up vistas toward the south and the west, so you could go that way. From Boott Spur you could even keep going around the Gulf of Slides: take the Glen Boulder trail down. (The Diretissima trail retuns you to Pinkham notch.) Heck, detour to Mt Isolation while you're up there :)

Boott Spur is an awesome trail - I did it three years ago up just above Split Rock and turned back due to cramps. Its views are gorgeous. I think Tuck's, too, is amazingly pretty, but I think the point about staying on the ridge for long views as long as possible is persuasive.

Cool thanks, is there usually snow on Mount Washington by middle of October? I know every year is different but typically when does the mountain usually get its first snow?

An overnight dusting or two by mid-october isn't unusual, but it usually melts away by midmorning. Statistically speaking, on October 15th there's a roughly 40% chance of any snow on the summit, and an average depth (when there is any) of about one inch. Chances are good that it won't be much of an obstacle, but if you do get a bit more snow than usual, you may want to think twice about going up Huntington Ravine trail (or Tuckerman for that matter).

A little snow is manageable, but watch for ice, especially in the morning. Tucks is well known for having a couple weeks of early season ice, that later in the season gets buried under snow.

Late to conversation here but also vote for Boott Spur. Excellent views and much more interesting than Tuckerman's Ravine. TR can be quite annoying when there is a never ending chain of tourists climbing up it and as was previously pointed out the views are restricted because of proximity to headwall. Nelson Crag is also an awesome walk. Another very long stretch above tree line with interesting terrain and views in almost every direction. The walk out on NCT is tedious and boring at the end though but still worth the walk.

I love the BS trail. I've done it as a stand alone hike on a few occasions, just because it's so quiet. I've also used it to descend from Washington's summit. The only time I ever had trouble on it was after climbing Lions head to the summit, I used it as a descent route during the winter. The BS trail was completely untracked and I had an epic following the route below treeline, deep snow, cliff bands, I ended up just bushwacking down and came out on the Shelburne trail way down low. Not that that would happen in the summer. Also, I concur that the Glen boulder trail is an absolutely beautifull route to descend. Wide open views, easy grade ( until below the boulder ). I climbed the Boulder as well, which I thought was a good xtra credit.;)

These are all awesome trails! One cautionary note (or two): the Boott Spur day will require you to bring all your own water, and a lot of it! There's often nothing at all except at the top or bottom, depending on how you go. Further, if you've already done most of the hike and are now descending the Boott Spur (or Glen Boulder) route, it may begin to seem like it's more miles than you thought; fitness and being well-rested going in will help. Lastly, it'd be better if there weren't any storms coming up over the west side of the ridge! Post photos!

One has a choice of trails, a choice of which day to hike in terms of the weather forecast, but one thing written in stone for Mid October is the length of day.

The eastern flank of Mt Washington goes into dark shadow when the sun drops behind the cone. Twilight on the summit, or on the west side, is much different than " twilight" on the east.

Also remember that the sun has to get UP over that ridge to the east of Pinkham, and that ridge is made up of some other 4000-footers.

Breeze

I've had great days and cold snowy days in mid-October. October and April seem to be the most unpredictable, you can get early winter or late summer, well a little cooler than summer. While the first snow has usually fallen, in some years it's melted. Your choices can be icy though so be careful. If cold after a recent rain, Nelson Crag may be a better ascent route. I prefer B.S trail over Tucks or Lion Head, get to see Lion's Head, the Ravine and Washington as others have shown.