Mt. Abraham via Fire Warden's Trail 7-1-14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
HOT HOT HOT day for a hike and had the trail to myself, which was lovely.

Trail: Fire Warden's Trail from Rapid River Road. Plenty of information out there on finding the road, but basically it's head down West Kingfield Road, then straight through the first four way intersection onto Rapid River Road. From there it is generally common sense ("No trespassing" signs help you find your way). Room for several cars in the lot just before the washed out bridges. After crossing Rapid Stream, take the road on the right to the trailhead.

Trail Conditions: Recent storm resulted in plenty of mud down low. Some new blow-down here and there looking for some trimming; a couple detours required. Otherwise trail is well marked and in good shape. (Thank you Bates team.)

Bugs:Lots of gnats and mosquitoes down low, especially in the wettest areas, of which there were plenty. Up top black flies were still around, and they were hungry. Lots of fireflies too, but they were only friendly.

Stream crossings: Since the bridges are out, there are two stream crossings right at the start. The first is easy. Rapid Stream is more challenging. I thought I found a nice rock-hopping line, but discovered with my first step that the rocks in Rapid Stream are VERY slippery, and down I went, dipping about half way in to start the hike (yes, I did have the water shoes, which I should have worn, and also, fortunately, had a spare pair of socks). Other stream crossings easy enough, but there is a lot of moss and algae to watch out for.

Comments: The last 1.25 miles of this trail are pretty steep, about 1800 feet of climbing, which is better than half of the work on this four mile adventure. Great views, except it was a little hazy. There is a handy spring fairly near the top as long as you don't mind a little tannin in your ice cold spring water. I needed almost 4 quarts of fluids to stay reasonably hydrated on this hot sunny day. #64/67 NE, #105/115 NY/NE.