Osceola trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Which of the two trails to hike both Osceola peaks would be the safest to take if I`m doing them by myself? Sat. looks like a good day as far as the weather. How tough is the "chimney"? THANKS.

I'd say the "safest" way is up from Tripoli Rd and back. You would avoid the steep section of trail coming up the East Peak from Greeley Ponds Tr. The Chimney can be easily bypassed in the summer.

I've only done the Greeley Pond route from the Kancamagus but from what I've read this is the harder route. Having said that it isn't terribly dangerous. I hike solo and did this last year. The climb to East Osceola is pretty steep but generally good footing. There is a pretty good sized open ledge that you traverse across toward bottom and a section of steep, rugged rock just before you gain the ridge. The Chimney is definitely a true scramble. The center is vertical and requires use of holds for 5' or so to pull yourself up and through and could be an issue if you aren't a big ledge scrambler. There is an alternate route around that is also a bit hairy but you can sit and step down. After chimney it is easy cruising to Osceola.

The Chimney
Osceolas_DSCN2443_0049.JPG

The Alternate Route (From Top)
Osceolas_DSCN2464_0070.JPG

Looking Up Alternate Route
Osceolas_DSCN2465_0071.JPG

Unless it is a wet day you should be fine.

Last edited:
I prefer going in from the Kanc. The trail is easy for the first mile and has some nice water crossings, it allows you to warm up for the steep stuff. This route also allows a trip to the ponds on the way out if your so inclined. Ive done the chimney and it is a scramble, but lately Ive been using the bypass because I now hike with my dog. Even on the bypass, I clip my dog to my waistbelt because you could take a fall if you slip, but that being said, its got great holds and you will have no problem if you take your time and have fun with it. The route from Tripoli road while ok is very rocky imo, kind of tough on the ankles verses the Kanc route.

The route from Tripoli road while ok is very rocky imo, kind of tough on the ankles verses the Kanc route.

This is a really good point. I rarely notice rocky trails since "rocky" is the norm on most trails in the region, but for some reason, the start of this trail is especially a pain and I think I have commented on it every time I've hiked it. Good trail overall, and less climbing than from the Kanc, but I prefer to go up East Osceola first as well.

Be ready for a steady climb if you do East first from Greeley Ponds. It gains elevation fast but is not dangerous this time of year. The chimney is also fine as is the bypass, as long as you are comfortable with scrambling and take care. Much ado is made about the chimney with good reason, but it is hyped up a little bit IMO to err on the side of caution.

From a pure safety perspective, the trip from Tripoli would be my bet. It's more popular, so you'll have less chance of being alone, and it has gentler grades the entire way; and it has no stream crossings, so high water is not a concern. It also starts a bit higher, so it saves a little vertical (which means you'll be less tired and less likely to have an accident due to fatigue).

From a 'joy of hiking' perspective, I think the route from the Kanc is much more interesting with it's steep climb and views of the cliffs (at least when the leaves are gone). I wouldn't say it's anymore difficult than something like the Hi-Cannon trail, or the CMT up from Carter Notch.

Last edited:
Unless it is a wet day you should be fine.
Worth noting. I went up from Tripoli on a very rainy day and tried going down the bypass. About halfway down I was faced with having to drop onto sloping wet rock (couldn't reach and keep it static, had to basically jump down) and called it a day there.

Tripoli Rd way i've done a few times and found it, just as most above have said, fairly easy. I took my wife a couple years ago and usually has problems with some scrambles. She encountered no problems with the Chimney. The above pictures show plenty of good hand and foot holds. Enjoy the hike and the favorable weather!

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it. You`ve put my mind at ease. I`ll be there tomorrow morning.:)