Bear activity at Guyot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out there last year. The caretaker dude said they had a bear box because they needed it.

I was out there last year. The caretaker dude said they had a bear box because they needed it.

Have any of the campsites put in bear boxes as a preventative measure? It would seem like a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's better to wait until their is a problem (although phrasing it like that makes it sound like a bad plan...).

Stayed a few weeks ago. No problems. Bear box available. In the past they have had visits.

I'm hearing issues from the tourism side of the NH State tourist season that trash cans in towns no longer exist ( Jackson, Glen, Bartlett, Gorham are in the bubble I hear about ).

I explain that bears are lot like the family pet... they learn quickly and are highly motivated by T*R*E*A*T*S , but the- bears-in -the-woods aren't the least bit cuddly or grateful, like the trained bears one sees at Clark's Trading Post.

Take advantage of assistance in keeping human food away from bears. It is better for all of us to do so.

Breeze

Many already have them, I don't think there are too many without at this point.

Thanks. I realize that my post didn't have the inflection on 'preventative' that I intended. I meant at sites where they haven't had bear problems yet (if such sites even exist). I've heard of the roaming bear going from Liberty Springs to 13 Falls and to Guyot, but wasn't sure about places like Imp or Naumen. Nice to hear that all the big sites have them now, as it's better for people and bears alike.