Opinions on Franconia day hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm about a week and a half out from my trip and pretty much decided on doing the following:

Franconia Ridge - The common Falling Waters, AT, Old Bridle loop
Mount Moosilauke - Gorge Brook to Summit, Carriage Rd to Snapper to Gorge Brook return
Mount Eisenhower - Edmands Path,
If we run out of gas and need an easy hike our last day we'll do Mt. Willard instead of Eisenhower.

So many hikes, so little time. Thanks everyone for your help.

Personally, I think you might be able to consider the standard east side Moosilauke route as your "easy" day. Only about 2500' elevation gain. It's a gorgeous peak - this was my first 4K summit. Be sure, if you get any kind of view day, to tag the South Peak. It has outstanding views of the summit and the east ridge, with Mt. Washington just peaking around the end of the ridge, and of Tunnel Brook Ravine and its many Beaver Ponds, with Mt. Clough rising sharply on its other side. A must quick stop-by on a nice day - the spur trail is about two steps southbound on the A.T./Glencliff Trail from the Carriage Road split, heading more or less due south where the A.T runs SW and the Carriage Road SE.

As for Eisenhower, Edmands, once above 4K, is a gorgeous trail, and before that is well constructed and relatively less rough than most other trails ascending the Presi's steeply from the valleys below. Key point on Ike, do yourself a favor, again if on a day with any kind of views, and do a lollipop hike of Ike - continue past the summit on the loop and then catch the A.T./Crawford Path back to the Edmands. IMO, the views from Ike's shoulders, both north and south, on the Loop Trail provide among the best angles and sight lines I've experienced in the Whites. Just outstandingly pretty. The half mile stretch of the Crawford is fairly rough, but manageable, and gives a neat set of perspectives on Eisenhower's summit dome.

I highly commend to you one of my favorite books if you've not yet gotten it: Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman's The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains. It gives all kinds of history, geology, geography and detailed summaries for most major trail approaches, plus detailed reckonings of the peaks' summit views. Fantastic book which will leave you very well briefed on your hikes - goes well with the AMC White Mtn Guide, which Smith and Dickerman also edit. Also, Steve has a beloved book and map shop on the Kanc highway in Lincoln, right next to the Irving Station, called the Mountain Wanderer. You can't ask for a better combination of pleasant company and compendious knowledge of the Whites. Stop in and pay him a visit if at all possible. He also has a good blog at mountainwandering.blogspot.com.

Personally, I think you might be able to consider the standard east side Moosilauke route as your "easy" day. Only about 2500' elevation gain. It's a gorgeous peak - this was my first 4K summit. Be sure, if you get any kind of view day, to tag the South Peak. It has outstanding views of the summit and the east ridge, with Mt. Washington just peaking around the end of the ridge, and of Tunnel Brook Ravine and its many Beaver Ponds, with Mt. Clough rising sharply on its other side. A must quick stop-by on a nice day - the spur trail is about two steps southbound on the A.T./Glencliff Trail from the Carriage Road split, heading more or less due south where the A.T runs SW and the Carriage Road SE.

As for Eisenhower, Edmands, once above 4K, is a gorgeous trail, and before that is well constructed and relatively less rough than most other trails ascending the Presi's steeply from the valleys below. Key point on Ike, do yourself a favor, again if on a day with any kind of views, and do a lollipop hike of Ike - continue past the summit on the loop and then catch the A.T./Crawford Path back to the Edmands. IMO, the views from Ike's shoulders, both north and south, on the Loop Trail provide among the best angles and sight lines I've experienced in the Whites. Just outstandingly pretty. The half mile stretch of the Crawford is fairly rough, but manageable, and gives a neat set of perspectives on Eisenhower's summit dome.

I highly commend to you one of my favorite books if you've not yet gotten it: Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman's The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains. It gives all kinds of history, geology, geography and detailed summaries for most major trail approaches, plus detailed reckonings of the peaks' summit views. Fantastic book which will leave you very well briefed on your hikes - goes well with the AMC White Mtn Guide, which Smith and Dickerman also edit. Also, Steve has a beloved book and map shop on the Kanc highway in Lincoln, right next to the Irving Station, called the Mountain Wanderer. You can't ask for a better combination of pleasant company and compendious knowledge of the Whites. Stop in and pay him a visit if at all possible. He also has a good blog at mountainwandering.blogspot.com.

Thanks for the input Driver8. For some reason I thought that taking the Carriage Rd to Snapper on the descent from Moosilauke would bring me to the South Peak summit. I didn't know there was a separate out and back spur trail for it. Good to know I'll have to get on the AT for a few feet to see it (otherwise I'd miss it). Very helpful. How much in the way of distance and elevation does the spur trail add?

I have the AMC and Falcon books on the Whites but not the Smith book. I'll have to pick up a copy. Might be nice to visit his shop too if I have time, I recall Tom Ryan talking about Steve Smith and his shop in Following Atticus. It's always cool when the stories in your head that came from reading intersect with real life.

Also, do you know off the top of your head how much distance is added by doing the little Eisenhower lollipop at the top rather than just out and back to the summit?

Thanks,
John

Thanks for the input Driver8. For some reason I thought that taking the Carriage Rd to Snapper on the descent from Moosilauke would bring me to the South Peak summit. I didn't know there was a separate out and back spur trail for it. Good to know I'll have to get on the AT for a few feet to see it (otherwise I'd miss it). Very helpful. How much in the way of distance and elevation does the spur trail add?

I have the AMC and Falcon books on the Whites but not the Smith book. I'll have to pick up a copy. Might be nice to visit his shop too if I have time, I recall Tom Ryan talking about Steve Smith and his shop in Following Atticus. It's always cool when the stories in your head that came from reading intersect with real life.

Also, do you know off the top of your head how much distance is added by doing the little Eisenhower lollipop at the top rather than just out and back to the summit?

Thanks,
John

This is off the top of my head, but doing the Ike lollipop option adds maybe .7 to your trip, with 50 to 100 feet of negligible, easy elevation gain and loss. And re: Moosilauke, you'll be on the AT once you hit the summit for the next mile or so to the point where the Carriage Road and the Glencliff Trail split, near the South Peak. The side trip adds about .4 round-trip with maybe 100 feet of elevation gain, if that. Gorgeous hiking there. hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
I was doing the Franc Loop once and met a woman coming the other way with a little Yorkie. I asked if she had to carry him at all, and she replied "only on water crossings".

On the other hand, I know of a case where a black lab had to be carried down off Lafayette because his pads were cut up and he was dehydrated. Can we assume your dog is not a "tenderfoot", and that you know enough to carry water for him?

I would agree with the Lafayette Loop and Moosilauke.

On the last day, I will give you another option to consider if you opt out of another 4,000 foot peak in Eisenhower. Sure Willard is nice, but its short. If you want something easier, but with a bit more length, consider the gem walk in to Zealand Falls and the hut. It's a great scenic walk and a great trail with boardwalks and one of the better chances at a moose sighting. Something like 2.5 miles to the hut and its a pretty easy walk. And if you get to the falls and hut and need that view, it's a 1.3 mile climb up to Zeacliff which is absolutely excellent. This isn't a peak, but def one of my favorite hikes in the Whites and would be a good option to end your trip after already being up on the great peaks of Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack and Moosilauke. Just my 2 cents if looking for something different in your White Mountains tour.

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks again Driver8.

Bob, yes he's an experienced hiking dog. He's got calloused paw pads from years of hiking, his regular food gets cut with puppy food (extra calories) on hiking days and the night before, gets enough water, etc. He is most likely only doing Moosilauke and Eisenhower and staying with the sitter for the Franconia hike though. I'm sure that he can do it but I feel 3 days straight would be pushing him a bit harder than I feel comfortable with.

Shamples, thanks I'll look into that.. Sounds like a better last day bailout option than Willard.

On the last day, I will give you another option to consider if you opt out of another 4,000 foot peak in Eisenhower. Sure Willard is nice, but its short. If you want something easier, but with a bit more length, consider the gem walk in to Zealand Falls and the hut. It's a great scenic walk and a great trail with boardwalks and one of the better chances at a moose sighting. Something like 2.5 miles to the hut and its a pretty easy walk. And if you get to the falls and hut and need that view, it's a 1.3 mile climb up to Zeacliff which is absolutely excellent. This isn't a peak, but def one of my favorite hikes in the Whites ...

Zeacliffs is beautiful and the Z falls are great, esp if shortly after a good rain. I loved the ponds as well. Nice thing about this hike, too, is that if you get to Zeacliffs and your legs are still feeling strong, you can head a couple miles west and bag Zealand, which is no great shakes itself, but the first half of that part of the hike is quite nice, with some good scrambling on a secondary peak and, if you like, a short side trip to Zeacliff Pond. Also, the views from the secondary summits near Zeacliffs are nice, both locally (pretty alpine flora) and far - good views of the Twins, Bonds and Willeys, Carrigain and Hancock at different spots. If you decide to turn back from Zeacliffs, I encourage you to take an extra 10-20 minutes to poke around along the A.T. just past the overlook and take in some other views.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

On our first day, we did the Lafayette Loop on Franconia Ridge and had beautiful clear skies. The next day my wife needed a bit of a break because she didn't bring her trekking poles on the Lafayette loop and had some bruising on her toes (from the descent). So on our second day we took an easy day and did two easy hikes: Arethusa Falls before lunch, then Mount Willard after lunch. It was a nice easy day and we were resting up to do Moosilauke on our third day. However, the next morning there were 60% chance of thunderstorms and the radar didn't look promising so we made the tough decision to head home a day early. It was a shame the weather turned because we were pumped for Moosilauke. However, we plan on heading back for just an overnighter to do Moosilauke in a month after I get back from a hiking trip to Utah.

Thanks all!!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

On our first day, we did the Lafayette Loop on Franconia Ridge and had beautiful clear skies. The next day my wife needed a bit of a break because she didn't bring her trekking poles on the Lafayette loop and had some bruising on her toes (from the descent). So on our second day we took an easy day and did two easy hikes: Arethusa Falls before lunch, then Mount Willard after lunch. It was a nice easy day and we were resting up to do Moosilauke on our third day. However, the next morning there were 60% chance of thunderstorms and the radar didn't look promising so we made the tough decision to head home a day early. It was a shame the weather turned because we were pumped for Moosilauke. However, we plan on heading back for just an overnighter to do Moosilauke in a month after I get back from a hiking trip to Utah.

Thanks all!!

Congrats on a good visit, VH. Once you get a taste of the Whites, though they are rugged and much more difficult than most other northeast hiking, it's hard to stay away for long.

I just visited Osceola yesterday. I can recommend it as being a big mountain with a lot of rocks and a lot of character. Its western approach has gradual grades on the whole, which is not to say it's easy - super rocky most of the way, and the fact that one of its three miles is pretty flattish (first half-mile plus another half-mile mid-way) means that the rest has to make up for it. The views at the summit are outstanding. I'd rank its southeastern outlook as one of the most spectacular I've seen. Definitely one to consider for a future visit.