Opinions on Franconia day hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeganHiker

Reaction score
I need to finish planning the hiking details for the time I'll be in the Whites near Franconia Notch next month. I'll have 3 full days of hiking and I know I'll be doing the Franconia Ridge Loop (the 8.9 miles Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette version). Can anyone whose done the following hikes give me their opinions on the following options for my other 2 days...

I'm considering:
the 8 mile out and back to Mt Liberty on the Liberty Springs trail
the 7.4 mile loop to Mt Moosilauke (Gorge Brook to summit, carriage rd and snapper trail back)
the 4.5 mile Dickey Welch loop or the 3 mile Mt Pemi if we're really pooped from Franconia Ridge and need an easy day
I know Mt Garfield and Mt Hancock are also nearby

We're not peakbaggers or gluttons for punishment, we care mostly about scenery but are willing to put the miles and climbing to find it. If you could only choose two from the above list which would you suggest for scenery. A lot of it will depend on how much gas we have left in the tank at the time, but I'd like to have a somewhat rank ordered preference going in. Another consideration is I hike with my dog, are any of the above not dog friendly.

All help will be appreciated!

Mt Liberty has basically the same views as Franconia Ridge, so I would choose Moosilauke for the other "big" hike,

Again, for the "small" hike, Mt Pemi is very close to Franconia Notch (though it has very different views to the south) so Dickey-Welch might make sense.

FWIW, my dog had trouble on Welch Dickey with his paws (pads) getting abraded because so much of it was ledge, and he likes to scout ahead and come running back. The braking is probably what did him in. He's not had any problems with any of the 10 4Ks he's done.

Tim

Hello Veganhiker, welcome aboard.

I personally feel that Garfield has a spectacular view that does not require a lot of "punishment" as you put it. Yes, it is a longer hike but you will have views of Franconia Ridge, Galehead, The Twins, and Owl's Head (if my memory serves me correctly).

Moosilauke is great for a western perspective view of Franconia Ridge and the summit is very large and expansive. Your other options are all great, too. In my opinion Moosilauke via the Gorge Brook Trail has a fat greater pay off than Welch-Dickey (which isn't extremely easy and can be very slippery on a wet day).

Enjoy your time here in the Whites,

yLDlj2F.jpg

Here is a pic of the view from South Twin. Garfield is the smaller peak to the right to give you a sense of where you would be in relation to Franconia Ridge and The Twins.

Z :D

I agree that a liberty spring out-and-back is the least interesting option, with the possible exception of the Hancocks. Liberty is a rather dull trail and it's in the trees until the summit, which has views like Little Haystack only from lower. You can make it slightly more interesting by adding an out-and-back to Mt Flume, or a lot more interesting by going up the Flume Slide Trail in the first place (I don't recommend descending it), but I think I'd rather go visit Moosilauke. (I've seen plenty of dogs on the flume slide trail, it's the humans who tend to get nervous.)

The trail up Hancock is not boring (steep and eroded, often with epic mud pits too) but the views are much more limited than the other options you're considering. If you want views in that area of the Whites, it's well worth the drive to go hike Mt Carrigain instead.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. So I'm effectively crossing the Hancock and Liberty off my list. I'm also putting Moosilauke down as a definite. I had initially left Signal Ridge to Carrigain off my list because it's a little bit further of a drive and the idea of a summit below tree line with an unnatural fire tower didn't sound too enticing. But now that nartreb recommended it, I read a few trail reports and it sounds like it has many great views along the ridge in addition to the tower at the summit, so it's back in the running for my last hike, along with Garfield, and Dickey Welch or Pemi as my "out of gas" bailout options.

Moosilauke's a great choice, and there are two routes you might find more interesting than Gorge Brook. One is from the Lodge, going up via Asquam Ridge Trail and then down the Carriage Road. My favorite is up the AT from Glencliff, then down the Benton Trail and back through Tunnel Brook.

But having said that, let me throw another log on the fire: the Presidentials- either north or south. Less travel time than Signal Ridge, less than 1/2 hour from Franconia to Highland Cyr., for example, and some really nice walks and views...

Come to think of it, you'd better just extend your trip and stay for a month or so!

I have two suggestions. First, I would consider the Beaver brook trail when doing the Moose. The first mile has some beautifull cascades and while this section is also steep it is also fun. Once past the steep section the trail moderates quite nicely. My second suggestion for a "Big" hike is the Kinsman's form the west side via the Mt. Kinsman trail. This hike will get you two summits if you choose to go to South Kinman ( which I would as its easy). Not only that on your descent there is a side trail to Bald mtn, which has fantastic views for a small effort.

For a short (short!) option, I really do like just going up to Lonesome Lake, and the view of the Franconias is wonderful. Do it the day after the Falling Water/Old Bridle Path loop if you're pooped. Do consider Greenleaf coming down from the hut, you can close the loop on the bike path fine. I think it's seriously underrated, although the last bit when you're close to the highway but not coming out yet can drag a little. The Flume/Basin/etc. loop is also worth the couple of bucks for the short little wander; my girlfriend and I did it on a pouring-down day which kept the crowds away and the water flowing awesome.

... the Falling Water/Old Bridle Path loop if you're pooped. Do consider Greenleaf coming down from the hut, you can close the loop on the bike path fine. I think it's seriously underrated, although the last bit when you're close to the highway but not coming out yet can drag a little.

Just a reminder for those familiar with the area (not suggesting it for the OP): the lower section of the Greenleaf Trail, which parallels the highway, is a drag and can be avoided by "bushwhacking" from/to the Old Man Viewing parking, the original route of the trail. Described it in Mount Lafayette, June 4, 2010.

...or you could stage a bike or car at the Kinsman trailhead, and all over South and North Kinsman via Reel Brook and the AT. The section from Eliza Brook shelter to South Kinsman is beautiful... and challenging!

My .02, Moose & Lonesome Lake.

Next year, Garfield, Eisenhower and Pierce with Middle Sugarloaf as the easy day.....

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. So I'm effectively crossing the Hancock and Liberty off my list. I'm also putting Moosilauke down as a definite. I had initially left Signal Ridge to Carrigain off my list because it's a little bit further of a drive and the idea of a summit below tree line with an unnatural fire tower didn't sound too enticing. But now that nartreb recommended it, I read a few trail reports and it sounds like it has many great views along the ridge in addition to the tower at the summit, so it's back in the running for my last hike, along with Garfield, and Dickey Welch or Pemi as my "out of gas" bailout options.

I'm in the minority on this but I think Carrigain is a very overrated peak. The Signal Ridge is quite nice but it's 1/4 mile or so of a 5 mile walk that in my opinion is pretty boring. I think Carrigain is a majestic mountain to be looked at from other peaks, not so much when you're on it. I'd do a lot of other hikes over this one, especially for the driving time in your circumstances. Moosilauke is a WAY BETTER hike for the driving time.

To Scubahhh's point, there are also numerous great short hikes in the Southern Presidentials that have a shorter drive for you and much more bang for the mileage (Eisenhower via Edmands Path, Jackson, Pierce - and you can do some or all of these on various loops that aren't super long or strenuous).

Hmm.. I'll look more into Lonesome Lake and Eisenhower. Not looking to do a car shuttle since we'll be on vacation and will only have 1 car. This convo is really helpful, luckily I have about 3 more weeks to finish up my planning.

Hello again Veganhiker,

You certainly have a lot of suggestions and ideas to ponder. For what it is worth, I would not do Eisenhower on its own if you are planning on bagging all 48 NH 4000 footers. The Crawford Path is a historic and relatively gentle way up to Pierce and from there Eisenhower is practically a breeze.

There are a lot of good options to consider that fit your criteria but it sounds like Moosilauke may be one of them. If so, I personally would pick that ascent first and save your legs for one of the other, more ambitious hikes the following day/days. The Gorge Brook Trail is still my top pick for an ascent route but there are many other options for a descent.

Good Luck,

Z :D

My second suggestion for a "Big" hike is the Kinsman's form the west side via the Mt. Kinsman trail. This hike will get you two summits if you choose to go to South Kinman ( which I would as its easy). Not only that on your descent there is a side trail to Bald mtn, which has fantastic views for a small effort.

I was also going to suggest this. On a nice day, you get great views from Bald and Kinsman.

I always liked Welch-Dickey but won't do it any more because it is just way too popular. The last time I was there I literally had to wait in line at a few spots on the trail. I felt more like I was at a shopping mall riding the escalator rather than a hiking trail. It just kind of defeated the purpose of hiking.

If you are looking for a good hike that won't take you all day but will provide some great views consider Potash on the Kanc. It's not as popular as Welch-Dickey so it does not get too over crowded. The summit provides great views from the ledges and crossing the Downes Brook is actually fun if you are going in the summer. Overall, a nice hike that will only take a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Well I'm about a week and a half out from my trip and pretty much decided on doing the following:

Franconia Ridge - The common Falling Waters, AT, Old Bridle loop
Mount Moosilauke - Gorge Brook to Summit, Carriage Rd to Snapper to Gorge Brook return
Mount Eisenhower - Edmands Path,
If we run out of gas and need an easy hike our last day we'll do Mt. Willard instead of Eisenhower.

So many hikes, so little time. Thanks everyone for your help.

For what its worth seriously consider Old Bridle Path up and Falling Waters Down. This allows you to carry minimal water up to Greenleaf hut and tank up there, then do the ridge and when its hot in the afternoon you are right near the falls on falling waters. The lighting on Falling Waters is far nicer in the afternoon and going down Old Bridal path in the afternoon is hot dry walk. Far nicer the other way around. Other will differ on this but that's my two cents!

For kicks. If you are really out of gas. Hit up Arethusa falls at the far lower end of Crawford notch.. About 1k elevation gain. And easy footing. If its hot out, you can dunk your feet. Its not a peak but a well worth the destination with easy an easy going trail through attractive woods.