Flags on the 48 --2014 edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
Flag on the 48 will be held on Saturday, September 13th from 12:00pm to 2:00pm
Signups for the event will open on Monday August 4th at 6:00pm

Flags on the 48 is a 9/11 memorial hike that was established in the aftermath of that tragic day. Several hikers banned together to raise a Flag on Mt. Liberty on the Saturday after 9/11. Since then, on the closest Saturday to 9/11, Flags are flown from all of New Hampshire's 4000 foot peaks as part of a tribute to those lost that day. This year would mark a special milestone. Should all 48 peaks be covered, it will mark 10 straight years that all the peaks are covered. This is a Leave No Trace event and all flags are to be removed at the end of the event. I want to thank everyone that has helped out in some way over the years. This really has been a herculean effort by the hiking community.

Should you have and questions, feel free to pm me or post them here.

The main website for the event is Flagsonthe48.org

Thanks again,
Silentcal

Looking forward to this event again. It is a pretty neat view to see all the flags flying in the breeze. Here is hoping for some great weather. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the reminder! I think we'll combine an early fall maintenance trip with this. Is it ok if the flagpole is a bunch of tools lashed together? ;)

Thanks for the reminder! I think we'll combine an early fall maintenance trip with this. Is it ok if the flagpole is a bunch of tools lashed together? ;)

We actually were able to get one of our adopted peaks: Osceola! And guess what? We'll be doing trail maintenance between Mt. Osceola and East Peak for those two hours. Looking forward to it!

Adams, Bond, Middle Carter, Field, South Kinsman, Owl's Head and Wildcat D are still open.

41 peaks in an hour is not too bad!

Flags Update:

1. We do not give out e-mail addresses to other participants. I strongly encourage you to use the "Trips and Routes" folder on the main Flags Website to communicate with others that are signed up for your peak.

2. All peaks still accounted for.

3. Event goes on Rain or Shine. Please hike safely and turn around if you do not feel comfortable with the circumstances. In the event of a Severe Weather Event such as a looming hurricane or thunderstorms, we will cancel the event outright.

Ahhh - thanks! This could very well have been for me. :)

Flags Update:

1. We do not give out e-mail addresses to other participants. I strongly encourage you to use the "Trips and Routes" folder on the main Flags Website to communicate with others that are signed up for your peak.

2. All peaks still accounted for.

3. Event goes on Rain or Shine. Please hike safely and turn around if you do not feel comfortable with the circumstances. In the event of a Severe Weather Event such as a looming hurricane or thunderstorms, we will cancel the event outright.

We have had a full peak cancellation on Wildcat D. Anyone interested can use the tram for family and friends and a supply run if need be. Great views! Message me if interested

>>....cancellation on Wildcat D. can use the tram for family and friends and a supply run if need be<<
i took Wildcat D - FOT48 can't use the tram for the event, the website says it will be down for maintenance all weekend...

Last edited: