Black Diamond Pole snapped

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
I took a tumble descending Madison yesterday because my Black Diamond trekking pole snapped. I stumbled and used the pole to balance myself and it snapped. I have some very colorful bruises to show for it. Can anyone recommend a pole that can bear a lot of weight. Also has anyone had luck dealing with Black Diamond for returns. Thanks

Tuck

I have poles from two sources:
==cheapos from Ocean State Job Lot that are awesome three-season go-to options; and
==Black Diamond two-piece poles for bc skiing and winter backpacking.

I bent one of the Black Diamond poles on the East Osceola slide one February. I ordered a new shaft for it, which cost $13. It restored the pole to original functionality and it has been great ever since.

By the way, I use my poles in 'cane' length, not in 'staff' length, and they're much stronger as a result.

So, no, I'm sorry, I can't recommend a sturdier pole, but I did have a good experience in dealing with a replacement part.

Good luck & let us know how you do!

I've used the BD elliptical with flint lock for years and haven't had any problems with them. I busted several pairs of Komperdel before I switched, so I know I am pretty hard on poles. I think the elliptical is a sturdier pole, but also slightly more costly. A hiking friend bought a pair of the BD ellipticals on my recommendation a few years ago and within the first winter slipped and fell on one snapping it in half. I told him to bring them back to EMS and see what happens. EMS gave him a new pair. Try returning them to the vendor you purchased them from. I suspect BD must have had some sort of an agreement with EMS. So from my experience, BD elliptical are sturdy, and I trust them, but they are not unbreakable. I have friends who have used titanium, graphite, aluminium and cheepo steel ones from Walmart. They all break under the right conditions. I don't think you'll find any of the poles to be indestructible, just the price we pay for light weight functionality. Want indestructible you'll probably have to try solid steel.

Check out Pacer Poles, from England. They're a lot more different than they might at first seem, and I absolutely LOVE mine!

Last edited:
S&M huh? We know what's on your mind lol.

I have used a Leki from the get go and have been really happy with it. The top has a flat - ish handle to it that I use like a cane. Coming down the mountains, I can lean right over the top of it and bear my weight right on it. I weigh 190 so it takes a good amount of weight, though I don't put EVERYTHING on it. It has a graphite shaft which makes it light and it collapses down in 3 sections. No worries on the collapsible part, it has never loosened, nor has any part ever slipped.

I took a tumble descending Madison yesterday because my Black Diamond trekking pole snapped. I stumbled and used the pole to balance myself and it snapped. I have some very colorful bruises to show for it. Can anyone recommend a pole that can bear a lot of weight. Also has anyone had luck dealing with Black Diamond for returns. Thanks

Tuck

Surprised to hear that. I have a pair of Black Diamond Flick Locks that I have seriously abused the last two years and never had an issue. I go 230+ lbs and use the poles year round, lean on them, have fallen on them, used as crutches after a badly sprained ankle and no issues. Were they dented or otherwise damaged that you know of? Most metal tubing gets substantially weaker when they are dented. Curious to hear how Black Diamond handles the situation. I use a lot of their gear but have never had a warranty failure to deal with.

I am also in the 230+ club and my guess is it was the combination of my weight and the sudden stress on the pole. I stumbled and try to brace and balance myself with the poles and snap down I went. EMS was great and replaced the poles with the newer trail shock model. Both the online and in store folks thought the pole was defective. Happy ending except for bruised ass and ego. Tuck

I am also in the 230+ club and my guess is it was the combination of my weight and the sudden stress on the pole. I stumbled and try to brace and balance myself with the poles and snap down I went. EMS was great and replaced the poles with the newer trail shock model. Both the online and in store folks thought the pole was defective. Happy ending except for bruised ass and ego. Tuck

The poles can take a lot of straight compression weight, but a large dynamic load can cause issues - especially if the pole is under any torque (such as from the wrist straps). When going downhill I find it is better to put the pole top in my palm, which the Leki grip is designed for. The poll bends less and this is more stable. I busted a pole a few years ago coming down the DW Scout Trail. It got caught in a root and I slipped. It bent like a twig.

The poles can take a lot of straight compression weight, but a large dynamic load can cause issues - especially if the pole is under any torque (such as from the wrist straps). When going downhill I find it is better to put the pole top in my palm, which the Leki grip is designed for. The poll bends less and this is more stable.

This is how I handle all but the most gentle descents. The trouble I've encountered is when the pole tip gets caught between rocks and roots. My hands have become pretty sensitive to any such "stickage." I'm well over 230, and BD's have handled me pretty well, though I've bent one up pretty good two years ago descending Lion Head when I tripped over a scrub bush coming into the flats, just out of the steeps, and I snapped another a couple years back ascending the Pinnacle in Penwood State Park close to home. Recently I bent one, I think it was at Zealand, but it bent pretty back pretty close to true with some care.

I'm only 155 lbs, and by far the most challenging situation for me with poles is when I'm moving quickly and catch my pole between two rocks. The challenge is: can I detect the snag and come to a full stop to relieve the tension before I've applied enough force to bend the pole? I've used basic BD flick lock poles, and managed to bend and break the bottom/thinnest section on my first outing with them. On the other hand, higher end Komperdell poles made from the Titanal aluminum alloy have been wonderful for me. They have taken several times the flex and not bent. On the one occasion where I did bend one of them (flexing it to stop a fall while it was snagged), it allowed me to un-bend it without fatiguing and breaking. Really amazing poles. I have a pair that's accompanied me for fully 5 years of aggressive weekly multi-4K hiking in all seasons. They're still going strong, though the straps are starting to show their age.

I didn't check today/recently, but the most cost effective source of them for me has been Sierra Trading Post. My poles are twist locks. If you prefer the 'flicks', I don't know if they're available in Titanal or not. I prefer the twists because they snag less when pushing through thick spruce.

Alex

Can anyone recommend a pole that can bear a lot of weight. Also has anyone had luck dealing with Black Diamond for returns. Thanks

Tuck

I'd suggest using a hiking staff. No sections, one length, relatively thick. You lose the telescoping ability of poles, but the staff is not going to break. And you can find one for free if you want.

I picked up some Leki Maldonas from Beans last year as they are supposed to be heavier duty than the standard poles. They are a larger diameter and have the new style twist locks. I did a partial bend early on and in general I have not found them to be any more bend resistant then the standard versions. I cant recommend them.

Realistically, the diameter should make the biggest difference. The traditionalists that use bamboo poles (picked up at ski areas), rarely bend or break their poles as they are a much larger diameter. Same thing for hiking staff but both a PITA when both hands are needed as they are to long to attach to a pack and not get in the way

I'm only 155 lbs, and by far the most challenging situation for me with poles is when I'm moving quickly and catch my pole between two rocks. The challenge is: can I detect the snag and come to a full stop to relieve the tension before I've applied enough force to bend the pole?
I have developed the reflex of reaching backward and yanking up on the pole whenever it begins to catch between rocks or logs. Nothing broken or bent so far... (Knock on aluminum...)

Doug

It's not for everyone but I cut the straps off of my BD poles, mainly to take advantage of the foam grips below the handles but I feel that really helps reduce the chance of breakage & entanglement.

I'll admit I fashioned a couple of wrist "keeper cords" out of a spare shoelace in the passes in the Sierra after nearly dropping my pole a few thousand feet down Glen Pass...

There was a recent long debate on whiteblaze regarding cutting off straps. The southerners and manufacturers tend to favor using the straps to improve efficiency for urban hiking and on smooth trails. I and the other minority argue that in terrain like the whites, using straps have more potential for injury when slipping on rocks. When falling the poles inevitably tend to get caught and deflect in a direction other than the direction the hiker is falling potentially causing shoulder or wrist injuries.

Of course Maineman has a point on considering keeper cords as I have almost launched my poles into the abyss on occasion:rolleyes:

There was a recent long debate on whiteblaze regarding cutting off straps. The southerners and manufacturers tend to favor using the straps to improve efficiency for urban hiking and on smooth trails. I and the other minority argue that in terrain like the whites, using straps have more potential for injury when slipping on rocks. When falling the poles inevitably tend to get caught and deflect in a direction other than the direction the hiker is falling potentially causing shoulder or wrist injuries.

Of course Maineman has a point on considering keeper cords as I have almost launched my poles into the abyss on occasion:rolleyes:

I seldom use the straps. Don't like the feeling of my hands and wrists being somewhat imprisoned.

I'm coming to think that the best strategy with poles is to keep the bottom link of the pole as short as possible. That's the part I've had trouble with.

Last edited:
I seldom use the straps. Don't like the feeling of my hands and wrists being somewhat imprisoned.

I like to use the wrist straps for ascent as they take some of the work off my hand, especially if I'm wearing gloves - I don't have to worry about my grip slipping.

Also, I should note that Leki sent me a replacement bottom link for free after it snapped. Their US headquarters are in Buffalo (or at least they were back then). I've since adopted the same reflex that DP referenced when you you feel a snag and that's prevented me from causing any more damage.

Back to the OP's question... a slip and a fall...not sure how many hiking poles (that someone would be willing to carry!) can really withstand that kind of dynamic force. :)

I have developed the reflex of reaching backward and yanking up on the pole whenever it begins to catch between rocks or logs. Nothing broken or bent so far... (Knock on aluminum...)

Doug

Same here. That 'reaching back' part's especially key.

I like the straps because at times, carrying poles become cumbersome so I just let them hang off my wrists and drag along by my side.

Straps reduce the stress on one's wrists and can be used to hang the poles from one's arm when one's hands are needed for something else. You can always grip the pole without using the straps if you are in a situation where the straps could cause problems.

Make sure you use the straps properly--bring your hand up from below (along the shaft) and through the loop. When in use, the strap should come off the pole between your thumb and forefinger (on the palm side) and go around the other side of your wrist. There should be no creases in the strap. (When hanging freely, it looks like there is a half-twist in the strap--this is required to make the strap fit on your hand without folding or creasing.) Skiers also use the straps the same way.

When you are choking up on the pole, you can just hook your thumb through the strap.

See Pete's Pole Pages http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm for a complete how-to.

Doug

Last edited: