Owl's Head Black Pond bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikin'Dools

Reaction score
I'm doing some prelim planning for a trip out to Owl's Head in a couple weeks and read in the WMG about a bushwhack trail from Black Pond to Lincoln Brook Tr. Questions: 1. How much time/mileage does it save? 2. Book gives directional of Due North (looks like 330 degrees may be more advantageous?) Any thoughts, experiences or general wisdom on the area would be much appreciated, Thanks!

We took it going out on our first trip to Owl's Head a couple of weeks ago, so my perspective is probably one of the less experienced ones you'll get, but here goes - it saves one mile each way, but no time. (Based on coming back on the trails.) It does, however, cut out three major stream crossings, which depending on conditions may be very valuable. (It wasn't when we went, which is why we came back on the trails.)

There was a small path at the BP end, a more pronounced path at the Lincoln Brook end, and not much in the middle. Going to Owl's Head, you don't have to be too precise because you hit the Lincoln Brook trail broadsides. Coming back, though, you need to be more precise because you'd be hitting the Black Pond trail end-on, and you certainly want to be on the correct side of Black Pond. I had a GPS track for it which helped a lot.

My advice? If I were doing it again, and the water levels were low, I wouldn't bother. Easier to take the trails and put it on cruise control.

My advice? If I were doing it again, and the water levels were low, I wouldn't bother. Easier to take the trails and put it on cruise control.
Yeah, good points about water level due to runoff from the surrounding ranges. At least now, it looks fairly dry the 3-4 days prior so hoping that holds and we'll make Owl's Head the first hike of the week. Again, rain will probably have me reconsidering this option. thanks!

In my opinion, there is no time savings in non snow conditions but going in via the bushwhack and taking the trails out adds some nice variety to what can be a bit boring in and out hike.

In my opinion, there is no time savings in non snow conditions but going in via the bushwhack and taking the trails out adds some nice variety to what can be a bit boring in and out hike.
Yes, i've heard plenty of accounts of boredom walking out and back 16 miles. Just for some excitement the bushwhack appeals...

Yes, i've heard plenty of accounts of boredom walking out and back 16 miles. Just for some excitement the bushwhack appeals...

Unfortunately, you get the boredom part of the hike with or without the various bushwacks. The Lincoln Woods Trail is just mind-numbing.

Unfortunately, you get the boredom part of the hike with or without the various bushwacks. The Lincoln Woods Trail is just mind-numbing.

You might be a peakbagger if... :)

I think everyone agreea the last 4.8 miles of the Bondcliff walkout is the worst with all those railroad ties. I generally enjoy walking in the woods, but that feels more like a roadwalk with no hope of a hitch!

I think everyone agreea the last 4.8 miles of the Bondcliff walkout is the worst with all those railroad ties. I generally enjoy walking in the woods, but that feels more like a roadwalk with no hope of a hitch!

Yup Weather permitting, i'll be walking out that one too first week of August! Left myself a couple of "Death Marches" by all accounts!

On the trail, you can average pretty much your normal in town pace. I'm also in Colchester, CT. Maybe we can car pool at some point.

I have not had an easy time with the crossings! Just a note that if you decide to take that option, you absolutely need to have something on your feet while crossing. Bring an old pair of sneakers, or something on that order, and be advised that even if low, the crossings are still quite substantial.

No one actually answered your question. If you follow the trail out to the pond, it will continue to wrap around it very briefly, and then you should see where other folks went. You can easily just point your compass due north. If you see trail, and there are several heard paths forming, just follow them as much as you can, even if they zig and zag, because it will be faster. If you lose the trail, take out your compass, and chances are you will find your way back onto one of them.

The spot where the bushwhack meets the trail is pretty clear, and chances are that you will pop out right there--which isn't very helpful if you don't! So, when you are coming back, you will see a small clearing on the right. It will be very shortly before reaching a crossing.

Brian

Good point. I always make it a point to bungie a pair of Tevas on any trail that appears to have significant crossings. Who needs a cut? As well as just providing a more secure footing. Someone just posted a Trip Report giving a 334 degree bearing that brings you out on the trail past the crossings? May be a bit of a quibble but due north and the 10 degree difference with declination adjustment may make a pretty big difference? IDK, havent' done it yet. I'll for sure report tho, thanks all