Whiteface-Passaconaway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki

Reaction score
Next week I plan to hike Whiteface via Blueberry Ledge Trail, across Rollins Trail to Passaconaway and down Dicey's Mill Trail. I will be going with another hiker who is in good shape but lacks experience in the mountains. Having not done this section before, I was concerned whether the caution in the guide book about the scramble up the "steep, rough, rocky ridge" near the top of Whiteface was accurate and whether it might be over the top for a good but not highly experienced hiker. Thoughts?

Yeah, my wife and i just did the same route last weekend. We have done a number of tricky scrambles in the Whites over the last few years and this one was a lot of fun. You're going up them which is a plus even if there is some rain (which it did for us). My wife is pretty short so with some teamwork and good solid anchoring i had no problem helping her up some of the trickier spots. Even athletic people are in for some sore muscles in places where they didn't know they had them! Foot placement awareness, Good shoes with reliable tread i would say are musts. If your friend is athletic and has good awareness of body positioning i wouldn't think it's a problem. After Whiteface, there really is no difficult spots the rest of your hike plan. Hopefully you enjoy some favorable weather, the views from the ledges over the Lakes Region are really pretty.

Unless your friends is afraid of heights I would not think they would have much difficulty on the ledges.