6/28/2014 Ashland NH "Leavitt Hill"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
This description is intended for those who like following obscure trails and don't care where they go.
http://cfem.newenglandforestry.org/forestryold/images/map for forest database.jpg

This peak has no official name but is located at the end of Leavitt Road in Ashland NH. Much of the area is on property of the New England Forestry Foundation but some is not and there are no obvious boundary markings. The hike I did involved some bushwhacking to a multitude of summit bumps but there are several hours of walking available on a maze of blazed but often obscure trails. Unfortunately there are no trail signs or maps so a GPS or good sense of direction is necessary.

I parked at the obvious end of the public part of Leavitt Road near an NEFF sign but walked back across culvert to go upstream on an overgrown woods road. Reached good snowmobile trail and turned L on it across brook. The trail climbed a few hundred vertical feet before leveling off, and I began a bushwhack R uphill to a choice of rocky bumps for first summit. Headed E along ridge where there were sometimes trails with blazes even, but had to bushwhack between segments and up to some bumps. Eventually dropped off L to snowmobile trail and headed E on it bypassing next bump. Long descent, then quick hop over minor crest, then long sidehill along ridge. At what seemed like end of ridge, I bushwhacked R uphill farther than I expected in open woods to obvious summit area. Unfortunately I decided I was on 1210 not the 1230 I wanted.

Angled back down to snowmobile trail and up to previous crest where I figured other peak must be. Took trail NE which started gradually downhill and ended at apex of looping woods road, R on road which ran on sidehill before heading down. Began bushwhack to L which headed uphill farther than I expected to flattish summit area. On return dropped off to R and hit other branch of road. Trail back to snowmobile trail and up to where it flattened out, bushwhack L uphill to bump I'd bypassed. Back along ridge until I hit section of trail that I recognize from other direction, then drop off to snowmobile trail and follow it back to car. If this all sounds confusing, try it for yourself!