August 17-22 hikes Cabot, Moriah, Whiteface-Passaconaway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Reaction score
I am looking to do 4 of my last 5 peaks (three hikes) for the 48 during that period (inclusive) and at this point I may be hiking them alone:

• Cabot,
  • Moriah,
  • Whiteface / Passaconaway

I always enjoy company on any hike, but in particular I'd be more inclined to enjoy the unknown pond loop rather than just out and back to Cabot if I had company vs. if solo. It seems pretty remote up there.

Hiking those 4 will leave just Moosilauke for the finish (at least of round 1 ...ssshhhh...I didn't just say that ... although I'll already be a third done with Round 2 ... oops I didn't say that either ;-).

I tend to hike a bit faster than book time when solo and a bit slower in groups (not uncommon, eh?) which means I am somewhat flexible, but prefer the faster than book time pace. Post here or send me a PM if you'd like to do any of these hikes that week. Specific dates are flexible, although I'd prefer to do one of these hikes on Sunday 8/17.

I'll also be back in the Whites the week after that, but already have a full hike schedule of repeat peaks with friends, followed by hopefully a finish on Moosilauke on 8/30. It should be a fun second half of August.

Ed

PS Please don't tell my wife I even joked about the g-word.

If you decide after the 48 to do NEHH (I did say that) and you take unknown pond, then make sure you go up the spur to the horn, then you will have completed 2 of the NEHH that are not on the list of 48.....just saying! If I knew then what I know now.....

If you decide after the 48 to do NEHH (I did say that) and you take unknown pond, then make sure you go up the spur to the horn, then you will have completed 2 of the NEHH that are not on the list of 48.....just saying! If I knew then what I know now.....

Even if you're not doing the HH I would say hit up the Horn - it's the best view on the loop! The view of the Horn from Unknown Pond is also pretty nice (kind of like Trement/Owl's Cliff from Saywer Pond).

Thanks for the advice. My inclination was already not to miss the Horn, but this seals it if the weather is nice. So plan at this point is to do Cabot first and return via unknown pond (i.e., clockwise loop). I'll solo it if no company, but the offer still stands.

NEHH, eh? I think I might pick a few here and there, but I'd best not adopt any new lists in the near future. :)

Cabot was a very nice hike and the extra trip to the Horn was 100% worth it. We saw only one other person all day. See trails condition report for caution about the fish hatchery gate.

I am hiking Moriah tomorrow morning (Thursday).